Need advice to pick a .243 bullet.

17Fireball

Don't have the money yet to get a 7mm Rem. Mag. so I am going to try to make my .243 Savage Weather Warrior 116 into a semi all purpose semi long range gun. I am saving to get the Leupold VX-6 when the new 3x-18X comes out this year with the fire dot. I have this scope on my .17 Fireball in 2-12 and love it for night hunting fox.

Here is where I would be grateful for your input.

I would like to use one bullet for the gun since Leupold includes a turret set up to whatever combo you use.

I would like to find the best bullet to fit the below needs. I know it is a compromise and there is no perfect solution.

1.) Kill 150 pound whitetail deer from 20 to 300 yards.
2.) Shoot groundhogs as far as possible
3.) The rare opportunity to shoot a coyote as far as reasonable.

I am not set on any bullet or grain weight. So far, seems lots of guys like the Nosler Partition. Sierra recommended I use their "#1530 85 HPBT, great on deer, so-so on fur, dead varmints."

I reload my bullets.

IMO i would go with a 90 gr. Nosler Accubond, extremely accurate out of all 4 of the 243 win.'s I own, or the 85 grain Hornady Interbond, also bery accurate. these bullets both offer rapid but controlled expansion to get the job done on whitetails out to 400+ yds as well as expand fast enough to produce ethical kills on varmints.

My dad has used the Sierra 100 gr. SBT gamkings since he was 12 and has had success with accuracy, under 1" groups at 100yds, and killing everything from large whitetails to groundhogs out to 400yds without issues.

I love the 243 the more i shoot it the more i love it. If you told me i could only have one cal, 243 would be it. You will have no problem with deer with most any bullet 70 gr plus. I shot my last muly (south dakota) at 683 yrds with a 95 gr berger. ran 50 yrds and droped.
Now your twist rate is the Q. if you have a 1:9 i would sugest 95's (sierras or berger. sierras are easier to tune) and both have a good bc of 480. put that at 3200 fps with h-100 or h4350 and they are both a great hunter but also competition bullet. In my ruger mk 2, rem 700 and both my buddies savages we are getting 1/4 groups at 100 and hold well to 1000.
if your running a 1:10 a hornady 87 gr vmax is awsome and will tune in almost any 243. (in my experiance) I do shoot deer and have had no problem with them. awsome on coyotes, parrie dogs and ground hogs. the Interlock is a fabulous huntier. Holds together well.
another thought is Fed blue box 80 or 100gr. they just shoot. dont know y but they do. Ive shot a tone of deer with them and most just drop in there tracks.
good luck

I'd use the Sierra 85HPBT.

I use the Sierra 85gHPBT bullet, the new Berger 95g Classic Hunter, and the 62g Barnes Varmint Grenade.

Sierra for deer antelope out to 350 yards, Berger past that, and the Barnes for varmints and stuff.

The 95gr sierra HPBT match is a great bullet and I've killed deer with it, if you want a hunting bullet then don't overlook the 90 swift scirocco. But if you can stabilize a 115 DTAC then run with that! We shoot them out to 1200yds, beyond that they generally go trans sonic then at about 1280 they go sub sonic and hits can get really difficult.
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

The Savage website shows that your 116 Weather Warrior in 243 cal. has a 1-in-9.25 barrel twist, which will limit you to bullets weighing 90-95 grains or less. Given that whitetail out to 300 yards is your "high watermark", then you don't really need a bjullet with a high BC. Either the Nosler Partition or the Accubond would work well. The barnes 80 gr. TTSX would be a potent bullet for you to consider.

I've used 85gr Sierra HPBT, 95gr Nosler BT, 100gr Nosler Partition, and Bergers new 95gr Classic hunter. Every one worked, with the Sierra BTHP being the least (still did the job). The difference being from a reloading stand point, the Berger was easier to work up a load.

Lots of opinions here.

I'll just say that the Barnes 85 gr TTSX is the most versatile, hard hitting bullet I've used in my .243. If they shoot well from your gun, and IF you can afford them, you'll never need another bullet.

Sadly, they do not shoot well from my 1:10" twist Vanguard, so I continue my search...

you say that u want to use it for a semi long distance. do not under estamate the 243, for sure. it is a good long distance rifle. Lets face it the average shooter can not make a 500 yrd shot in a 10 to 15 mph wind. the 243 has a great bc and power enough to knock down those small 150 lb deer to 700 800 yrd. (with proper shot placement. I am from SD and it is not unusual for us to have 250 and 300 lb deer.
from what you say you want to shoot ground hogs and coyotes out as far as possible that means a high bc bullet. I would defiantly suggest the 95 gr sierra or Berger bullet. the 107 Berger hybrid may stabilize considering your twist rate. both 95's have a bc 480 and will kill the hell out of the ground hogs and coyotes to a grand no problem. another good bullet would be the nosler ballistic tip fair bc (but not near the sierra or berger) and do extreamely well on deer.
You may consider the 243 ackley you gain an average of 200 fps which is substantial. Good luck with your build. I'll tell you the more you use it the more you will fall in love with it. I own most lager calibers and shoot my 243 ackley every deer season. Drew.

I killed a meat buck this last year with a 95 SMK out of my 6mm CM. The shot was at 30 ft and the bullet performed great. I was worried it may blow up that close.
Chris
Benchmark

I killed a meat buck this last year with a 95 SMK out of my 6mm CM. The shot was at 30 ft and the bullet performed great. I was worried it may blow up that close.
Chris
Benchmark

really at that close the bullet has more of a tendency of not expanding and not doing damage. Just punches a little hole especially out of a target bullet like the SMK .

My favorite all-purpose bullet is the 87 gr V-Max. It's a compromise bullet for your situation because it's not designed for big game hunting but mine have always exited broadside deer out to 300 yards. It's instant death on rockchucks and coyotes. Good BC of .4 and not nearly as expensive as some of the premium bullets. In my rifle the 90 gr. Nosler Accubond shoots to the same point of impact as the 87 gr V-Max out to 600 yards so I use the Hornadys for varminting and the Accubonds for big game hunting. I can use the same holdover lines on my Varmint Hunter reticle for both loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.