Need advice on Tactical 338 Lapua build

DaddyRabbit

OK guys, thought I'd pose this question to you in regards to the aforementioned. I am ISO the very best Smith known for a new Tactical build. I already have custom action in hand and am anxious to hear your expert and real word experience associated with your recommendations. I was thinking I'd go the way of a McMillan A5 super mag stock along with a tube along the lines of a Bartlein, Brux or maybe even a Krieger. I wager any tube today from the top 5 are pretty close to equal. I'm going to go with an AR-30A1 brake unless someone can recommend anything better?

I have put together a couple nice 338 lapua Imp, used Proof Research Barrels my Titanium Brake
A3 Mcmillian the customers really liked the balance the carbon 30" barrel and the light brake gave the big gun. It's nice to have a long barrel with that rifle and have it not be muzzle heavy.

I have a 26 inch Bartlein Barrel on my 300 WSM. It is .875 at the muzzle, with no brake and ceracoated matte black. It is extremely accurate and I routinely see groups in the quarter inch category. With the .875 muzzle it is front end heavy, though. I dont know if that will help with the 338 LM barrel choice.

It looks like you do some spot on work sj. I have never had the pleasure of hearing about the barrel you mentioned. I am definitely going with a 30'' tube so front end weight might be an issue.

I have put together a couple nice 338 lapua Imp, used Proof Research Barrels my Titanium Brake
A3 Mcmillian the customers really liked the balance the carbon 30" barrel and the light brake gave the big gun. It's nice to have a long barrel with that rifle and have it not be muzzle heavy.

Thanks,
I have had real good luck getting Proof,s to shoot and I think they look nice, and I know they are durable, more so than a steel barrel.
Here,s a picture of a recent project 7MM WSM shoots bug holes.

Attachments

• peays1.jpg
    peays1.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 108
Whos your Daddy now-338 Norma

Attachments

• P2130024.jpg
    P2130024.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 145
Just built a 338LMAI on a Defiance action, Mcmillian A3-5 Stock and Bartlein barrel palma contour topped with a NF NXS MOAR. The barrel has had so little fouling that when a friend took it to shoot I thought they had cleaned it before returning it. It is a fun rifle that shoots lights out.

I have a 338 Lapua AI build underway right now. Components are: Stiller TAC-338 action w/20 MOA rail; Krieger 30" SS barrel w/Hvy Palma contour; Muscle brake; Huber two-stage trigger; Nightforce NXS 5.5-25x50mm w/NP-R2 reticle in Seekins Precision rings (6 screw). Because of the potential for being a little nose-heavy, I chose the McRee Precision Gen 5 aluminum folder stock. The McMillan A 3-5 was a close second. I already have an A-5 (which I love) on my 277 Allen magnum, so I wanted to try something different.

I know I will get some differing opinions on this but take this advise wisely and compare the 338 lapua to the 338-378 Weatherby. The Weatherby has more case capacity, longer brass life with less stretch. Cases are SOMEWHAT more avail. And just a all around more superior cartridge. I have built both and find the accuracy is on par with one another. I do however strongly suggest to use a cut rifled barrel on the Weatherby. I like a 29 to 32 in barrel over any other barrel lengths on either cartridge.

compare the 338 lapua to the 338-378 Weatherby. The Weatherby has longer brass life with less stretch..

Really??? Where do you come up with these posts.:rolleyes: 338-378 Weatherby brass lasting longer than 338 Lapua brass??? This post proves to anyone that has shot both and loaded for both one thing. You obviously have not shot and loaded for one of them very much. The facts are the primer pockets in the 378 Based Weatherby, when loaded even close to a max load will be gone in 5 or 6 firings at best. And at 4, maybe even 3 firings you will be hand seating primers, some going in looser than others and thinking "well these are about gone". My last batch of 100 338 Lapua cases, all shot with 300 gr bullets and a stiff charge of H-1000 went 15 firings. That's a 3 to 1 better rating for the Lapua brass.lightbulb

Jeff

BROZ..You really need to understand that some people have a different opinion than you and probably shoot just as much as you. I personally know that Weatherby brass is softer than military spec Lapua brass. I know the Lapua made this round with a knowledge that the military reloads for 10 to 15 rounds not caring about throat erosion and what is happening internally within the case. I know they have primer pocket that are sub par to the Norma primer pockets. DO YOU? I personally do not think that it is good practice to load over 3x for long range magnums when we want accuracy. The flow off brass inside the case is uncontrollable and unmeasurable. All we can do is trim the neck length and weigh the brass to get as close as we can. If you understand physics and apply a little engineering to flow then you understand why Roy Weatherby designed his radius neck not for gas flow of spent powder but for the pressures and reducing the flow of brass. This design is far superior to a standard neck for that reason. If one was to do comparisons on brass of all makes even the Lapua I am sure the Norma brass will come out on top for accuracy and uniformity. It would not come out on top for brinell hardness or strength. There are trade offs that some of us understand. As for me I will buy new brass every 3 shots and take the higher quality every time. I let my graduate school education and experience in the field do my determination of what works. I am not a internet warrior criticizing others on this forum. I believe that is very immature. I will let the members of this community take what we say with the knowledge they garnered and apply it in the way they wish. But to attack or criticize another's knowledge or experience is uncalled for BROZ.

BROZ..You really need to understand that some people have a different opinion than you and probably shoot just as much as you. I personally know that Weatherby brass is softer than military spec Lapua brass. I know the Lapua made this round with a knowledge that the military reloads for 10 to 15 rounds not caring about throat erosion and what is happening internally within the case. I know they have primer pocket that are sub par to the Norma primer pockets. DO YOU? I personally do not think that it is good practice to load over 3x for long range magnums when we want accuracy. The flow off brass inside the case is uncontrollable and unmeasurable. All we can do is trim the neck length and weigh the brass to get as close as we can. If you understand physics and apply a little engineering to flow then you understand why Roy Weatherby designed his radius neck not for gas flow of spent powder but for the pressures and reducing the flow of brass. This design is far superior to a standard neck for that reason. If one was to do comparisons on brass of all makes even the Lapua I am sure the Norma brass will come out on top for accuracy and uniformity. It would not come out on top for brinell hardness or strength. There are trade offs that some of us understand. As for me I will buy new brass every 3 shots and take the higher quality every time. I let my graduate school education and experience in the field do my determination of what works. I am not a internet warrior criticizing others on this forum. I believe that is very immature. I will let the members of this community take what we say with the knowledge they garnered and apply it in the way they wish. But to attack or criticize another's knowledge or experience is uncalled for BROZ.
Sorry, but no. Lapua brass is MUCH better quality then Norma, why do all the top 100, 200 and 300 yard bench rest shooters go through all the trouble of forming 6mm PPC brass from Lapua 220 Russian when Norma offers straight 6mm PPC brass? Also, if you go on accurateshooter.com you will see in 95% (guesstimate) of their cartridge info they will note that most competitors (of all diciplens) use Lapua over Norma brass because of the superior quality and consistency.

I just had a member PM me and stated there is a Large National Publication Magazine that did test on all the brass available today. The test did all testing methods and as very thorough. Norma was the number one tested brass. Lapua has contracted to Norma to make brass for them with the Lapua headstamp. Any belted Lapua brass that you may find is actually NORMA!! I am not stating my opinion just facts. Lapua is a great brass in its own right. Nothing against Lapua, Great brass and a great company. Definetly a lot harder and able to withstand greater pressures. Its is not as a whole as even from lot to lot or case to case as Norma Magnum brass. Non Mag brass is Lapuas territory. Anything with a belt on it can not compete with Norma quality. It saddens me to say this. My blood is red and only likes to support red blood. But if it needs to it can support another NATO country.:rolleyes:

Dave Tooley of Tooley custom riles in gastonia NC

he has been building 338s longer than anyone else. He is also working for Accuracy international for their tactical 338 sniper rifles. That is about as "tactical" as it gets.

He went to England last year to train on results of his testing barrels,chambers etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.