Need advice on scope

bigben

Lets say you have 500 bux maybe 600 if it meant a big difference. What scope would you buy to stick on a 6.5x284 for hunting anything from groundhogs to blackbear from 0-10000 yds? I know good optics are worth the extra money. And would like to buy once not two or even three times to get what i need. I will mostly be shooting long range groundhogs with this gun so im thinking atleast 15x if not higher.

BigBen , "10000" Yards may be stretching it a bit , even for a BIG Bear ! Just kidding , but you pose a tough problem . For Bear in the Pa Woods , I would want low power ( like 1.5X-4X ) and a thick Reticle . For 1000 Yard Chucks , I would want high power ( like 20X or a tad more ) and a fine Reticle . Summers in your area are hot and humid and anything above 20X or 24X will drive you crazy . How about two Scopes ? A weaver GS 6.5-20 for the chucks and just pick up a 1.5-5X Nikon or Nitrex or even a used 4X Leupold , old Lyman , etc . at the next Harrisburg Gun Show . You should be able to get both for under $600 . Anyway , that's what I'd do . YMMV .

The gun came with a nikon 3-9 that i can put on if needed. So i guess more what i need it for is groundhogs. I was lookingat a 4-16 variable. But not sure yet. Was also looking at a 6-18 buckmasters as well.

The Buckmasters Crosshair is considerably Thicker than the one in the Weaver GS , in fact , the very Thin GS Crosshair ( and that Tiny Dot ) gives my eye fits . Both have Optics way better than one would expect at roughly $300 . I know there are guys with eagle eyes who can shoot long range with 12X , but I can't . Have'nt shot any Woodchucks in years and they are substantially wider than Prairie Dogs . I can tell you that 16X works for me only out to 700 Yards or so on Pdogs , and at that distance I want more power . Get a Woodchuck Paper Target , borrow some friends Scopes that top out at 24X or even higher , set it up at 1000 Yards , and you can decide what you like .

If you're willing to go to $599.99 then keep reading...

Right now the Vortex Viper HS LR is going to be around $549 for the 44mm version, $599 for the 50mm version.

Dad and I own a couple of them, but also own Zeisses with turrets. For the same price now on sale it's a no-brainer.

This one:
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 AO MC Target Turret w/#20 Z-Plex Matte Black, #521490-9920 reduced to only $599.99

See his post here:

Zeiss Conquest Riflescope Reductions @ Camera Land

Much better in low light and the clarity is better in any light compared to the Vortex HS LR. You will not regret it for a second. I received mine 2 days ago (it's my second) and am considering a third which would probably replace a Vortex.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.