Yea, ten years' worth of shooting at more hostile targets; I'm confident in placement. It's terminal ballistics and ergonomics that are my current concern.

Frankly, now that I am no longer shooting issued equipment, this might be the impetus for my consideration of something nicer and more fitted to myself.

To that end: I was looking at the Pierce Ti actions as well. I really want to support a Michigan (local) company, but the two-lug just doesn't have the appeal that the short bolt lift of a three-lug offers. Am I nuts?
Look into the Curtis Axiom actions. Chase is a member here, and I'm sure if you had any questions, he'd be more than happy to help you out.

I'll just throw this out there. Have you looked at the Bergara B-14 HMR? It's available in 6.5 with a 22" threaded barrel. Not sure if it's as light as you want at about 9 lbs but they've got a good reputation for accuracy and street price should be a tick under 1K.
I've got one in 308 waiting for glass and it's a great feeling rifle with the adjustable stock.
It's also patterned after the 700 short action (but better extractor, bolt release ect) so triggers, scope mounts, triggers and stocks will fit.

Just re read your requirements, it's got a 90 degree bolt lift, but I can work the bolt prone off the bipod without my right elbow leaving the ground. It's plenty smooth.
Happy hunting.

I'll just throw this out there. Have you looked at the Bergara B-14 HMR? It's available in 6.5 with a 22" threaded barrel...

Just re read your requirements, it's got a 90 degree bolt lift, but I can work the bolt prone off the bipod without my right elbow leaving the ground. It's plenty smooth.
Happy hunting.

Yea, looked at it and love it. Really looks nice, and really happy to see it on the market. However, the objection is more the bolt lift than the smoothness. I just can't get over how all of my 90* throws have skinned my knuckle, and don't own any of them any longer. And if I'm going through all of this hassle, it ain't worth sub-optimal.

Glad to hear you like yours, though. If you lived close I'd beg a test-drive of that.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.