Need advice on "painting" camo design on synthetic stock

H82MISS

Hey everyone,
I am new to this forum, and would like to ask anyone, if they have repainted a synthetic stock. I have a HS precision stocked rifle, that is plain flat black. I would like to try using some method of "dabbing" some colors with a sponge, or using some medium to upgrade to some other color without sending to someone who specializes in this.
Trust me, I am not trying to do this on a budget, just thought there may be a way to do myself. Is there paint that is recommended that will not peel or chip off?
Any ideas ?
Thanks for all your input, and have a great weekend !!!!!!!
Rob in MO

There are a few few places on line that tell you how to paint a stock. The big thing is to prep stock well so paint will adhere and not rub off. One site said to use Krylon paint and their matte clear coat for the job.

Agreed with above. I have had success with Krylon to sponges then to stock, then a coat of clear matte over all. Another look I have become fond of, particularly on ARs and the more tactical type rifles, is rattle can with no final clear cover. Let it naturally wear in the spots that get use. I have a soft spot for the "used" look and the breakup in the silhouette only gets better.

there use to be stencils and paints on midway that were made for stocks. most people are finding it nicer to have them dipped

from another forum, guy used a few different colors of camo spray paint from walmart (rustoleum), sea sponges (weird patterns). spray the sponges, dab on the rifle. i did this with my browning a-bolt stainless stalker and it came out pretty neat. all you're trying to do is break up the big black stock. clean stock beforehand with mineral spirits or the like.
a-bolt camo.jpg

netting leaves hemlock bows only your imagination knows. I'd recommend Guncote Cerracote or duracoat air dry for each brand. Spray paint will come off with normal solvents used. You can base coat then rattle can some pattern(s) if you don't like that you can use easy off oven cleaner to remove the rattle can application
You tube and google are your friends here

from another forum, guy used a few different colors of camo spray paint from walmart (rustoleum), sea sponges (weird patterns). spray the sponges, dab on the rifle. i did this with my browning a-bolt stainless stalker and it came out pretty neat. all you're trying to do is break up the big black stock. clean stock beforehand with mineral spirits or the like.View attachment 117329
Nicely done!

Here's my Ruger 10/22 that came with the black synthetic stock. Using leaf shaped pieces of masking tape, I applied a few coats of Krylon OD green, applied a second set of leaves, then a few coats of tan Rustoleum multicolor textured. Upon drying, removed both sets of leaves. No overcoat and its' stood up to several years of rabbit hunting. The Rustoleum left a nice grippy surface. cheers
Camo Stock.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts