Need advice on "painting" camo design on synthetic stock

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by H82MISS, Jan 11, 2019.

1. H82MISS

H82MISS Member

Hey everyone,
    I am new to this forum, and would like to ask anyone, if they have repainted a synthetic stock. I have a HS precision stocked rifle, that is plain flat black. I would like to try using some method of "dabbing" some colors with a sponge, or using some medium to upgrade to some other color without sending to someone who specializes in this.
    Trust me, I am not trying to do this on a budget, just thought there may be a way to do myself. Is there paint that is recommended that will not peel or chip off?
    Any ideas ?
    Thanks for all your input, and have a great weekend !!!!!!!
    Rob in MO

2. H82MISS

H82MISS Member

I feel that the flat black existing painted stock, will work as a base coat that should naturally hold any new paint coverage without prep or sanding, right?

3. WildBillG

WildBillG Well-Known Member

There are a few few places on line that tell you how to paint a stock. The big thing is to prep stock well so paint will adhere and not rub off. One site said to use Krylon paint and their matte clear coat for the job.

4. Heavyiron

Heavyiron Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Welcome to LRH, great to have you on board
    X2 on using a quality paint like krylon and clearcoat

5. SilentPew

SilentPew Active Member LRH Team Member

Agreed with above. I have had success with Krylon to sponges then to stock, then a coat of clear matte over all. Another look I have become fond of, particularly on ARs and the more tactical type rifles, is rattle can with no final clear cover. Let it naturally wear in the spots that get use. I have a soft spot for the "used" look and the breakup in the silhouette only gets better.

Heavyiron likes this.
  6. can1010

can1010 Well-Known Member

there use to be stencils and paints on midway that were made for stocks. most people are finding it nicer to have them dipped

TG-5150 likes this.
  7. TG-5150

TG-5150 Well-Known Member

8. davsco

davsco Active Member

from another forum, guy used a few different colors of camo spray paint from walmart (rustoleum), sea sponges (weird patterns). spray the sponges, dab on the rifle. i did this with my browning a-bolt stainless stalker and it came out pretty neat. all you're trying to do is break up the big black stock. clean stock beforehand with mineral spirits or the like. a-bolt camo.jpg

logman48, TG-5150, H82MISS and 2 others like this.
  9. H82MISS

H82MISS Member

Thanks for everyones' help.

10. Capt RB

Capt RB Well-Known Member

netting leaves hemlock bows only your imagination knows. I'd recommend Guncote Cerracote or duracoat air dry for each brand. Spray paint will come off with normal solvents used. You can base coat then rattle can some pattern(s) if you don't like that you can use easy off oven cleaner to remove the rattle can application
    You tube and google are your friends here

TG-5150 likes this.
  11. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Well-Known Member

Nicely done!

12. Gunnitt

Gunnitt Member

Ive paintes a few stock one i did webbing on the others did a stippled krylon ill take a photo of the webbing one tonight here are the other ones ive done.

Attached Files:

H82MISS and CO_Guy like this.
  13. CO_Guy

CO_Guy Well-Known Member

Here's my Ruger 10/22 that came with the black synthetic stock. Using leaf shaped pieces of masking tape, I applied a few coats of Krylon OD green, applied a second set of leaves, then a few coats of tan Rustoleum multicolor textured. Upon drying, removed both sets of leaves. No overcoat and its' stood up to several years of rabbit hunting. The Rustoleum left a nice grippy surface. cheers Camo Stock.jpg

14. ramrod79

ramrod79 Well-Known Member

This gave me inspiration to have mine done like this a few years back I think this guy did an awesome job. I kept picture for future and may even try a burnt orange instead of green.

0DAD85F9-8F43-4660-AFCA-6220E83541CC.jpeg

CO_Guy likes this.