Need advice on LR shooting..

rugersmygun

I just bought a Rem 700 sps tactical in 223 1 in 9 twist I am looking to do some long range shooting but I am not sure about a few things...First what will be my max distance and what power scope should I use and lastly what base will I need 0,15, or 20 moa?..Thanks

You might include if you hand load, what weight of bullet, barrel length, and if you are shooting at a range or open country.

I know a few guys who shoot those clear out to 1000 yards on paper.

Looking at something around 54 MOA drop at 1000. 23 at 700. 11 at 500. As you can see the bullet really starts falling off. 55gr bullet at 3200 fps

Will be shooting paper only and I do not handload at this time but I have a buddy that does so I will shoot factory and handloads...

I think you might want to look for a little larger caliber rifle for long range (1,000). Most long range beginners and even alot of experienced folks prefer the .308 Win. B/c the large projectile is heavier and has a higher ballistic coefficient, or BC. Also, the larger heavier bullets are not quite as affected by wind and other elements.

If you can master the .223 @ 1000,I think you'll be alright for other calibers.

It's not gonna be easy, but don't give up. I know most people consider the effective range of a .223/5.56x45 to be 600 meters, as far as lethality goes. But there's guys shooting them at 1000 for killing paper and possibly small varmints.

If you decided to go with a .308 or 6.5 Creedmoore, or something like that, all you'd have to do is rebarrel your current rifle and put a different bolt in it, with a larger bolt face, (.308 is considered standard bolt-face for SA rifles).

Either way, good luck man, and let us know how it works out for you. gun)

Or consider a 243 Win. If your 223 has a 9 twist, you should try shooting some Superformance Match ammo from Hornady (75gr). That is about as good as it will get in the BC dept.

If you have not done it already, you are going to have to open up the barrel channel on the front of your noodle, er stock, :D so that it remains clear of the barrel when the front of the stock is on a rest or bipod. I had to remove nearly 1/8" of material on mine before it stayed clear. You HAVE to check it in the shooting position, on the bipod because it has so much deflection in it and that rifle is very barrel heavy. The stock is actually far too light. You would do much better with an inexpensive Boyds or Stockys stock, the laminated stocks are actually very stiff and the bedding is better too. Like this Boyds: VARMINT THUMBHOLE REMINGTON® 700 BDL SHORT ACTION BULL BARREL CHANNEL PEPPER LAMINATE (FINISHED) VT Varmint Thumbhole for $99.

With the 75gr HPBT bullets from a long tube, they drop to subsonic just past 500 yards. By comparison, with 55gr varmint bullets (flat base), they make it just past 400 before going subsonic and have considerably greater wind deflection. Thats despite having started at considerably higher speed.

So, if the wind blows where you live, or you want to shoot past 300 yards, find the heaviest boat tail or VLD bullet your rifle likes to shoot. You might try the 70gr Match VLD target bullet from Berger, it is listed as being good for a 1:9 twist and has a better BC than the 75gr Hornady match bullet.

Back to the scope. I like power personally, especially for targets. I would think something in 20 to 25 range would good. Even a 8 - 32 leupold would be nice choice. I shot my 220 out to 700 just fine. Think you be in that 500 to 700 range just fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.