Need advice on light a light recoiling hunting rifle!

I recently had surgery on my neck and I'm going crazy not being able to get out shooting! I have rifles from 6.5 CM up to 416 Rigby but nothing that I feel comfortable trying with my neck situation. My favorite two rifles for Hunting are my 7-08 and my 300wsm but those are out of the question for now. I have thought about possibly getting a 223 with a faster twist to be able to shoot 75-80gr. bullet. So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks, Alan
I have an AR with a bull barrel shooting the 77 gr bullets. I lent it to a buddy that had a broken collar bone from a fall during dove season a few years back.

whack, he had a nice buck, and no pain, for him at least.

I recently had surgery on my neck and I'm going crazy not being able to get out shooting! I have rifles from 6.5 CM up to 416 Rigby but nothing that I feel comfortable trying with my neck situation. My favorite two rifles for Hunting are my 7-08 and my 300wsm but those are out of the question for now. I have thought about possibly getting a 223 with a faster twist to be able to shoot 75-80gr. bullet. So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks, Alan
Alan what rifle is your 7-08 and 300 wsm in? And how much recoil can you take or how bad is your neck right now?

Thanks, Alan
So many options. I use a 223 with 7 twist to run 80-90 grain for training. Combined with suppressor that rifle is incredibly fun to shoot. I used during a youth hunting class I instructed and the kids shot all my ammo and were hamming targets to 700. Some of these kids were really small in stature and none had an issue spotting their hits. Another fun option is something in the 6mm small case stuff, BR, ARC, etc. They run 100 - 110 bullet in the 2700 fps range and very light recoil with a brake or can.

Put a brake on both your rifles.You are already set up with what you have,the recoil is your issue.I bought two rifles that already had breaks on them.One is a 30-06 with the small multi hole brakes,the other a 300 Win Mag with the big side hole ports,three on each side and two small holes at the top.The small hole brake feels like a 243,the big hole brake even less.Everytime I shoot the 300 Win Mag with the big hole brake,I cannot believe I just shot a 300 Win Mag.Those big holes quickly dissipate the recoil out the side and you really don't feel much at all.It has no markings so I don't know the manufacture,but it works.
MB.jpg

A bullet in the 6MM range going around 3000 fps should do fine.

I highly recommend getting yourself a suppressor, if you don't already have one. They brake very well without all of the noise and blowback.

In fact, if you suppress your 7-08, you may not need a new rifle.

Thanks, Alan
You should check out the 243 . My wife has had shoulder surgery and is able to it . Light recoil and still able to take animals DRT .

Plenty of great options, especially if using a brake or suppressor.

I've got a 22-250 AI 1:8 twist (pretty similar to 22 Creed) and it hammers. I'm shooting the 88 gr ELDM at 3150 with RL-23 out of a 22" barrel. Super easy to spot shots with my suppressor.

Shot this coyote at 600 yards Friday night, then shot this Muley buck at 315 yards the next morning. Absolutely one of my favorite rounds. When I torch this barrel, I already have a 22 Creed prefit sitting in the safe ready to spin on.
0D0E6BE7-F61E-44F1-AD62-588AE865547F.jpeg

8EFE55F1-37A2-4ACA-A4C5-4ED1A0DCB630.jpeg
E5EDEC45-4B83-447E-B523-B12C76F26121.jpeg

Thanks, Alan
IMHO...why not drop a couple of grains of powder in 7-08, shoot a light bullet smallest offered, put a break or can on your favorite gun and shoot away. Brake...1/10 cost of new gun....can...cost of new gun!

Thanks, Alan
My wife used to shoot 7mm-08 but I rebarreled it with a 6creed and break mostly for target shooting but I'd feel great shooting that at anything deer size and smaller. Just depends what kind of hunting you're doing if it's in a stand make your 6.5 or 7 heavy and add a break.

You already have every rifle you need. Down load your favorite ammo with a light weight bullet and put a brake or suppressor on a couple rifles. Maybe buy a new highly accurate barrel for one that has a threaded muzzle. Unless you're just looking for an excuse to buy another rifle, then the door of possibilities is endless.