Need advice on light a light recoiling hunting rifle!

Alan Gipson

I recently had surgery on my neck and I'm going crazy not being able to get out shooting! I have rifles from 6.5 CM up to 416 Rigby but nothing that I feel comfortable trying with my neck situation. My favorite two rifles for Hunting are my 7-08 and my 300wsm but those are out of the question for now. I have thought about possibly getting a 223 with a faster twist to be able to shoot 75-80gr. bullet. So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks, Alan

I just ran into this situation with a really good friend. I'm about to take my 22 creed over to him to shoot coyotes. It's on the heavy side and with the brake has zero recoil. When I drop it off I'm going to grab his 270 and have it threaded and build a light bullet hammer load that will do the job in the range he typically kills. I'd suspect there's a few cartridges this same thing could be done with good results. Hope that helps

Years ago I would not have ever used a 223 on deer but then HAMMERS came out and changed all that.
A friend sold me on them as he has worse back problems than me and any cartridge except 223 is out of the question.
Last year he shot his yearly doe at 75 yards and she fell on the spot.
He said since he switched to Hammer bullets they all do that.
So now I have a 223 Ruger bolt action 223 that shoots a super group with 52 gr Hammer Hunter bullets.For elk I keep my 300 win mag but if for freezer meat on deer I will gladly use my 223 Ruger rifle stoked with 52 gr Hammer Hunter bullets at 200 yards or less.

Ya, I've got the 88 hunters shooting around 3200 if I remember correctly and barely any recoil. I also have the 90vld's around 3150. Here's a 12 year old shooting a rifle for the first time and making hits inside 20" at 1000. Not that it would be effective for hunting at that distance. You have to zoom way in to see the target

Attachments

• 634DDDB5-A608-456D-BD51-80952A5F54F1.jpeg
    634DDDB5-A608-456D-BD51-80952A5F54F1.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 289
I recently had surgery on my neck and I'm going crazy not being able to get out shooting! I have rifles from 6.5 CM up to 416 Rigby but nothing that I feel comfortable trying with my neck situation. My favorite two rifles for Hunting are my 7-08 and my 300wsm but those are out of the question for now. I have thought about possibly getting a 223 with a faster twist to be able to shoot 75-80gr. bullet. So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks, Alan
What critters do you hunt yearly and to what ranges do you take them at?

That makes it really easy then, I'd go with a 8 twist 22/250. You could use standard bullets like I do (55 Horn w/c, 63 Sierra, 60 Horn sp and hp), or you could use the 62 TTSX, 70 Hammer or 85.5 Bergers.

My wife and I use our 22/250 for 90% of our hunting and game taking.

Easy to work with, takes game down like lightning.

Take a hard look at it

I'd agree with pretty much everything previously said. It really depends on what your neck would handle. I'll even through in a higher quality bolt action 22 LR of your choice. One that you wouldn't previously consider but now makes sense to protect your neck. It might not be exciting, but it will keep you shooting. And with less chances of hurting your neck the sooner you'll heal up. You can always use a 22 LR.

Tikka has a 1:8 twist 22-250:

They seem to come and go, as far as availability. currently on backorder, at the link I posted.

I keep thinking of getting one to run some hammers through.

Ruger American Part# 16959 is another 1:8 twist 22-250 option.

Last edited:
I was just talking to someone about the varmint version of that in 223. Either one should be great.