Need advice on caliber for Moose and bear in Alaska.

I'm looking to pick up a new rifle for a hunt scheduled at the end of august.

Im considering 338 RUM, 375RUM, 375 H&H, and 416 Rigby....

I want a larger bore rifle as long as it'll shoot pretty good to 300 yards I'm fine with it.

Ive not personally hunted Alaska for those species, but brother has many times and a friend of a friend was a bear guide years ago, so take this for what its worth. The bear guide carried iron sighted .416 Rem mag for back up guns. Brother has shot bears with 338 Rum and 378 Weatherby and 300 RUM. Reactions of the bears were un-measurably different. They all died quickly. His personal bear guides carried 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag as back up rifles over the few trips he took. I have killed two eastern moose with 338 RUM and they didnt like it at all. Brother has killed Alsaskan moose with 300 and 338 RUM and they died quickly. I owned a 416 Rem for a bunch of years and only killed black bears with it. It was devastating, but no more so than a 378 Weatheby, and maybe not as devastating on smaller critters.
Like others have said, shot placement is most important with a quality bullet. The 338s are more versatile in general with bullet selection and range. Gun shopping is half the fun. Let us know what you decide.

Ken, I like your answer & would like to add to it...

To the OP, what are YOUR capabilites? Can YOU handle a big bore? A solid hit with a 338 win is WAY more effective than a close miss with a 378 WBY. I would personally Max out with my .375 Ruger, I still like my .458 Lott but am willing to admit it beats the snot outta me & i'm not used to it.

Granted, your shots will have a limited range, (extremely limited if mama griz takes an interest in your quickly departing backside). :D

If you can handle a big bore, by all means roll with it, but if you can't (reliably) don't be afraid to step down a few notches.
I love my 378 & 458 Lott, the Lott was made for A PH in South Africa, who died before it was finished
Both are LH im a south paw

ln high school 60yrs ago l remember reading of Africa in the black powder sport hunting days. Standard light gun was an ''Eight Bore''. Heavy caliber/Dangerous game was a '' FOUR BORE''
Just imagine your poor shoulder absorbing the RECOIL of launching a 1750GRAIN bullet from a FOUR BORE:(

Last edited:
ln high school 60yrs ago l remember reading of Africa in the black powder sport hunting days. Standard light gun was an ''Eight Bore''. Heavy caliber/Dangerous game was a '' FOUR BORE''
Just imagine your poor shoulder absorbing the RECOIL of launching a 1750GRAIN bullet from a FOUR BORE:(
Sir Samuel Baker shot a 2 bore a few times, it was said it spun him around like a weather vane 😂

I'm looking to pick up a new rifle for a hunt scheduled at the end of august.

Im considering 338 RUM, 375RUM, 375 H&H, and 416 Rigby....

I want a larger bore rifle as long as it'll shoot pretty good to 300 yards I'm fine with it.
I have always kinda eyed the 338 RUM, but I've never owned one. I have owned three 375 Ruger caliber rifles. 2 Ruger rifles, both have the 20" barrels, and a Shaw With a 24" barrel. What I personally appreciate about the 375R is its amazing potential. I hand load for all three, using 250 gr ttxs 260 gr ABs and lastly 270 gr Speer. What I've found is that I can get 2810-2830 fps MV out of the 20" barrels and 3050+ fps out of the Shaw 24" barrel. That's kissing 375rum factory ammo ballistics. without the expense, and excessive recoil. With the 375R, Recoil is very manageable and all three rifles a very accurate. initially, I was using these for elk hunting. But now I use whitetail as well. I've killed several deer with them, but I've not taken an elk as of yet.
These three loads maintain 2K pounds of energy out 600yds out of 20" barrels. Another thing I do like about the 375 is that it doesn't destroy meat as you might think that the caliber would . The con is ammo will be difficult to find right now if you don't reload. You probably would not have that problem with the H&H. But I also enjoy the short handy package of the Ruger Hawkeye and Alaskan Especially when in heavy brush. As you know, Most of the rifles you mentioned will have to use a 24-26" barrel to achieve the advertised energies and Velocities that they list. Anyway that's just my 2 cents lol.

Last edited:
You can see those rifles on display at the Teddy Roosevelt Museum @ Sagamore Hill. Very ominous looking firearms. You need an elephant just to carry one for you.

There is a blast from the past. Hard sell with 8mm parent case brass hard to come by. Have fond memories shooting rocks in Hells canyon with one, was a fun way to fireform brass and bruise a shoulder.
There is a blast from the past. Hard sell with 8mm parent case brass hard to come by. Have fond memories shooting rocks in Hells canyon with one, was a fun way to fireform brass and bruise a shoulder.

Can't .375 H&H brass be used? I know that the 8 mm may be easier, perhaps less steps….but what about the H&H? I thought that H&H brass for the 350 G&H….which is very similar (if not identical) to the .358 STA . memtb

Recent Posts