Need advice on barrel

paal

Hello every1

I'am about to get a new barrel for my 22-250 and maybe my cal.6BR.
Thinking of Pac-nor, but i don't know anything about them.
confused.gif

Cal.22-250, 1-14", 26"long, grooves don't know. Will be for varmint & paper.
Cal.6Br(Lapua),1-12/14",24"long, grooves don't know. Will be for benchrest & paper.
Need advice on this. Should i spent my money on Pac-nor ?

Thanks....

Paal, all of the well known barrel makers make wonderful barrels. Consider availability first. Some are so backlogged from recent global events that you may have to wait 6 months for your barrel.

Do a google search for barrel makers and you should have at least 10 good ones to choose from. Why not consider a maker closer to home? Germans make exceptional equipment and you don't have to mess with currency and expensive shipping. How about something from Sako/Tikka or CZ?

You might also consider Gaillard in Canada. With our dollar being weak against the Euro, you may get a good deal. 306-752-3769. Country code should be 01. Ted is a very nice guy and makes wonderful barrels. He'll get a kick out of talking to someone in Europe.

Jerry

Paal

the 6br, you need to define more exactly what the use is.

If a short range (100-300 yards) pure BR gun, then skip the 6BR and go 6PPC with 1-14 because bullets are always under 70 grain. Pure top competition accuracy cartridge for 300m and under. Nothing beats it.

If not short range Br but use out to 600 yd, then go with the 6BR. If you plan on shooting up to 85 gr bullets, go with 1-12, 85-95 gr go with 1-10, 95-107 gr then 1-8 twist. guys with improved versions of the 6Br are pushing 107s in 1-8 twists out to 3000 fps with 28-30" barrels out to 1000 yards. The 1-8s also will shoot the 95 Berger VLD very accurately in the improved case out to 1000m.

In the improved BR, look at the BRX and the BRS (Baby Shehane). I would go with the BRX for ease of making brass. Go to longrangetargetshooting.com or Benchrestcentral.com and ask about the BRX, Bob Crone will give you all the info you want. Do a search and will find much info already posted. Bill Shehane is advertiser on Brcentral. Look under D B supply.

For barrels, the top ones are the 3 groove Lilja, the Hart with ratchet rifling, the Spencer, the Pac Nor, Krieger, K & P, are all top notch barrels and cannot go wrong with any of them.

BH

I have a Pac/Nor s.s. match in 22br, doesn't use much target!! I also have a 300/.338 um pac/nor that shoots good.But like the other guys said Hart makes a barrel of great quality.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.