Need Advice on a Swivel Stud Repair Synthetic Stock

Thanks for the advice, David. I think I will do this in the off-season. I looked at them at Brownells just now. For right now to get me back up quickly. I am going the epoxy route. Much appreciated gents! As always grateful for the knowledge on the LRH site. Good luck this season.

I've read the JB Weld and the Marine Tex route, no matter what route you decide upon, I strongly suggest using some tape around the hole "before" you start the job. Either a good quality masking tape or a couple of layers of the clear packing tape, also some release agent or car wax before you start the job. It will make your clean up a whole lot better. I use this method when I repair screw holes in my boat and then wet sand the excess with 300-400 wet sand paper. Good luck with the repair.

I've read the JB Weld and the Marine Tex route, no matter what route you decide upon, I strongly suggest using some tape around the hole "before" you start the job. Either a good quality masking tape or a couple of layers of the clear packing tape, also some release agent or car wax before you start the job. It will make your clean up a whole lot better. I use this method when I repair screw holes in my boat and then wet sand the excess with 300-400 wet sand paper. Good luck with the repair.

Great suggestion. I wouldn't t have thought of doing this. So thank you! Sounds like you've made that mistake and it saved me from making a similar one!

Joe

[QUOTE="Josebigsky, post: 2010082, member: 67661"
Great suggestion. I wouldn't t have thought of doing this. So thank you! Sounds like you've made that mistake and it saved me from making a similar one!

Joe
[/QUOTE]
Yup!! When I do a bedding job I mask the entire stock off. That glass compound always gets in places that you don't want it to get into, then.....you've got to deal with it

Yes taping around the hole with painters tape is the only way to go. The yellow 3m is the best. Have some acetone and several rags ready to go as well. Wipe thoroughly once everything is in place then remove the tape around the repair before the epoxy sets. That way you won't have small pieces of tape stuck to your stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.