Need advice on 1000yd hard hitting shooter

bear16

Hey everybody, I'm a new member, this is my first thread. I want a 1000yd hard hitting rifle I can make solid kills with (not that I would ever try at that distance) more so want to enjoy 1000yd target shooting. Currently shooting 300wsm and really enjoy it. Kick doesn't bother me at all so not afraid to go bigger and assume I need to customize a bit...

Look forward to your advice,
Thanks,
John

I agree with MTBULLET, the 300WSM is a great round for 1000 with a heavier barrel and enough freebore for big bullets it makes a great target or hunting gun.

the 1000 yard matches been won quite a few times with a 7wsm. balistics are not much different than a 300wsm. the guns, ammo and and shooter are tuned quite well. what gun do you have? how does it shoot?

I have the 300wsm in Winchester. It shoots great, I wish I was as consistent! But confident at 300yds w perfect weather. I just love shooting and want to continue the challenge!

Considering building a rifle just need to do my homework and gather opinions from those w more experience w custom work and long distance.

Bear - do you reload? the easiest way and quickest is to get a remington sendero or winchester laredo. a leup 6.5-20 ; and a kenton knobb or one from leup. a range finder. if you can afford a custom rifle then you may have a wait to start practicing. many calibers/rounds will work , depending on what you are going to shoot at. elk/ deer ect.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.