Need Advice Have 2 Rifles and Want to Re-barrel one of them

Double Dropper

So option # 01 Have a clean Remington 783 standard long action, leaning towards 6.5-06 or 6.5-280 AI
Option # 02- Have a clean Weatherby Vanguard in 257 Bee, leaning towards re-barreling it to 1:8 twist to accommodate 131 grain bullets for long range hunting 28" pipe gain twist
Option #03 - Re-barrel the Weatherby to 264 Win Mag 1:8 28" pipe for long range deer. Thoughts?

No I dont want a 280AI or any 7mm, its not my thing, and I have multiple 300 Cal magnums and 35 cal rifles for larger bullets. Please dont go there, look a the caliber range and suggestions, thanks.

Heck of a dilemma you have. All are among my favorites.
The 6.5-280AI would be marginally faster than a 6.5-06AI, and about 150+ fps faster than a plain 6.5-06.
The 257 WBY with a fast twist is a bolt of lightening. It will flirt with 3800 fps - maybe more with the Absolute Hammers.
Same scenario with the 264 Win Mag.
Right now, good brass is available for the 280 AI. Seems Wby has some brass lately too.

For me this is quite a dilemma, This does get down to a 264 win mag vs fast twist 257 Bee, I have a good amount of brass just wondering how well the 131 would perform out of the bee? Can still shoot 110 grain bullets out of the fast twist I believe.

For me this is quite a dilemma, This does get down to a 264 win mag vs fast twist 257 Bee, I have a good amount of brass just wondering how well the 131 would perform out of the bee? Can still shoot 110 grain bullets out of the fast twist I believe.
I think so or even the 120ish pills like the partitions and such. I just ordered 500 of the 131 XLs from the guys at blackjack so that will be my vote haha.

Last edited:
Don't know how many rpm the lead 110 can handle? 25WSM on here shoots them and could probably tell you.
The 131s handle up to 1:8 @ 3200fps (i have one). Don't know about faster. You may have to ask the guys at Blackjack if you plan to really make them scream.

if you already have the 257 brass its pretty much a no brainer either a fast twist 257 or a 6.5-257 which I think roy should have done back then

Not wanting to deviate from your options...but I'm suggesting another one anyways. I've long felt that it I ever rebarreled my savage 111 in 270 it would be a 6mm-06 or a 6.5-06, ackleyed for either of them. The 6mm holds my attention both with the high bc 115 grain class but even more with the 70-90. The 90 grain Sierra gamechanger has a B.C. of .480. Not true long range bc but when you can crank those at 3600+ it gets "interesting" looking at ballistic tables. A truly rare blend of point blank speed and long range ability.

I'd go fast twist 257 Weatherby. Also look at Hammers website so you can shoot their bullets as well. Run the 131 BJ for deer and maybe the 128 HH for larger game? Or possibly a AH of a heavier variety when they are released. Fast twist leaves you with lots of bullet options. But as mentioned check with BJ to ensure they'll hold up to those velocities.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts