Need Advice Glass Bedding a Winchester M70

OP here. The short answer is I'm still working on it. I put in pillars and then bedded the action. I didn't bed anything past the recoil lug. I decided to let the barrel free float. After testing, I was getting some pretty large groups (3"+). As I was getting close to elk season, I reverted back to the original stock. I will probably start working on it again soon. I found some marks on the barrel band that indicated the barrel was touching the wood in places. I don't know if that was due to a failure to completely free float or if vibrations caused it to touch when fired. If I get anything figured out, I will let you know.

I do have a suggestion for you if you decide to bed the barrel band like you mentioned. I suggest you first bed the receiver and get that part good and solid. Fill the barrel band screw hole with modeling clay and tape off appropriately. Instead of using the surgical tubing to clamp things in place, just tighten the receiver screws as normal and let the barrel settle into the bedding naturally. That way you won't be put extra stress on the barrel and receiver when you tighten it later. But that's just my thoughts. If I had the right answers, my project would be done.

And please let me know how that works out for you.

Aluminum is for people who do not hunt. Aluminum will expand and contract with the outside temperature at a rate greater than steel or epoxy. Look up the coefficient of expansion in your Handbook of Physics if you don't believe me. Aluminum also has a "modulus" of stiffness very close to your laminated wood. No gain there. You will be best served by epoxy bedding up to the sight lug. For wiggles and grins I put some graphite fibers from TAP Plastics into the sides and bottom of the bedding.

Remember to put tape and then wax it with shoe polish Neutral, on the muzzle side of the recoil lug and the bottom of the recoil lug. The Model 70 recoil lug and flat bottom will make it very accurate if they do not bottom out when you tighten the guard screws. Leave a hundredth to a fiftieth forward and below the lug.

My experience with 4 Pre-64 barrels is they are 1.5 inch to 2.5 inch groupers. Barrel quality and chamber dimensions have improved but then I was not using Wilson dies either.

Attachments

• P1010911.jpg
    P1010911.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 90
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.