Need advice for scope ffp vs sfp. Read everything i could. Simple question

It would be so much fun to see those of you who have such strong opinions with SFP scopes show up to a hunter match that tests your skills. A lot comments from a location with little wind, close shots, and honestly no consideration for a DOPE card. Good for you. You shot a deer at 65 yards. You use a duplex reticle for hold overs? Which line did you use...the fat one or the skinny one? I am not content with bubba hold left or right. I am only concerned with the exact point of the bullet impact. 3, 6, or 9", on a super calm day at 100, enjoy your Bubba windage and pat yourself on the back. You are the the marksmen of the keyboard, and the absent from the competition. You have proved nothing.

It would be so much fun to see those of you who have such strong opinions with SFP scopes show up to a hunter match that tests your skills. A lot comments from a location with little wind, close shots, and honestly no consideration for a DOPE card. Good for you. You shot a deer at 65 yards. You use a duplex reticle for hold overs? Which line did you use...the fat one or the skinny one? I am not content with bubba hold left or right. I am only concerned with the exact point of the bullet impact. 3, 6, or 9", on a super calm day at 100, enjoy your Bubba windage and pat yourself on the back. You are the the marksmen of the keyboard, and the absent from the competition. You have proved nothing.
Who said anything about no DOPE card? Duplex hold over with Swaro 3-9X36, 270 WIN 140 SST Superformance 210 yard zero. 300 yard hold between cross hair and lower heavy post, 350 hold cross hair on spine and 400 hold is top of lower heavy post. Use Strelok Pro to refine for current conditions and make dope card as necessary. Worked for me on several shots past 300 yards. PRS, NRL22, ARA bench rest and Rifle Silhouette, shoot all but one with SFP scope, oh and real time hunting out west. Be surprised the Bubba windage needed for ARA Bench rest with 18 MPH cross wind, bullet jump and wind drift. Shoot enough with your rifle and its all stored inside your brain cage for future access. Shoot lots learn lots.

You lost me at 210 yard zero. Worked for you at PRS and NRL22, And ARA? Worked for you for NRL22 past 300? Do you mean NRL22 at less than 100? Looks like the "poked with needles" folks have a super strong opinion. Its really simple have a strong opinion prove it, dont type, show up and test your stupid SFP theory.

I'll stir the pot... If Mark ( Mark and Sam after work 4aw) can hit a 24"x24" target @ 2 miles +, than I don't think 2fp can be all that bad... cheers

You lost me at 210 yard zero. Worked for you at PRS and NRL22, And ARA? Worked for you for NRL22 past 300? Do you mean NRL22 at less than 100? Looks like the "poked with needles" folks have a super strong opinion. Its really simple have a strong opinion prove it, dont type, show up and test your stupid SFP theory.
You are narrow minded, the 210 yard zero on the 270Win is the hunting rifle. PRS is a SFP Leupold 8.5-25 with 100 yard zero, Silhouette is SFP Leupold 3-18 100 yards zero and NRL22/ARA bench rest a FFP Nightforce NX8 4-32X50 50 yard zero. NRL22 requires hold overs with stages from 35 yards to 110 yards and several targets between so multiple hold over hold under and power changes. PRS has multiple range stages but are all shootable at full power so if you hold under or over its no mater FFP or SFP. Silhouette straight forward, 200m-500m its at full power and wind hold are relative to position on target. Again shoot lots learn lots. Also hunt with Silhouette rifle so wind holds instinctive and hold over is easy with dial up o 200 yard zero or just dial for the distance so FFP or SFP no mater.

Advantages and disadvantages both ways. I prefer SFP because I don't want my reticle be huge at high magnification. If you have time to dial for elevation and wind then buy SFP and point and shoot. Practice in wind and get diligent. Dial it up and trust your dial. If you want to hold for wind then FFP will be easier to use because with SFP, the reticle is only correct at one magnification. With most SFP scopes, the only time the reticle is accurate is when the scope is on max magnification. Some are set up to be accurate at a magnification other than max but that is rare. That is how they are designed. You will need to practice either way, of course. if I were to get into PRS competition and was shooting against time, I would shoot FFP and hold for wind. I have gone back and forth on this myself for years. My dad likes FFP and I prefer SFP.
I think lots of hunters don't realize hash marks are only accurate on max zoom. I have 3 NF scopes used for hunting and prefer sfp. If given plenty of time and steady wind I'll dial. Almost always dial elevation again if time allows.

Aaaaand we`re off! This thread sure went south!
Heck
I learned quite a bit . I have never been to any kind of a bad *** competition thingy but I have been to few turkey shoots.
The first dial scope I got was a Weaver Kaspa Tactical. It's SFP. Hope I'm not gonna get shunned 🙄 and it tracks good. If I need all that it's on full power anyhow.
I got pretty effective with it. It's been a good scope. It's on my mountain rifle now.
I'm getting a FFP scope for my long range rifle.
If I'm using my mountain rig I'll just have to sneak to 700 yards or so. Thank God bow hunting has taught me things. But haven't killed nothing but rocks at 700 yards and beyond, yet

Last edited:
My 2nd FP scope really falls short around 2000 YDS when my .5MOA dot covers 10". What if I need to shoot a 5" target at 2000 YDS?