Need advice for Colorado elk hunt

Same here, I have been keeping up with this thread as well and trying to prepare me and two friends for this same kind of hunt. I have been getting together a good gear list as I hate not having something when you really need it but you can only pack so much. So far I think the hardest thing is trying to decide where to go. So much land to explore and I dont wanna be around crowds of people, so hopfully we can figure out a good place that we can pack in harder then most and seperate us from the ones that dont want it as bad.

Brett

Same here, I have been keeping up with this thread as well and trying to prepare me and two friends for this same kind of hunt. I have been getting together a good gear list as I hate not having something when you really need it but you can only pack so much. So far I think the hardest thing is trying to decide where to go. So much land to explore and I dont wanna be around crowds of people, so hopfully we can figure out a good place that we can pack in harder then most and seperate us from the ones that dont want it as bad.

Brett
That is the hardest part. Internet "scouting" seems to pose more questions than it answers.

Sure does, need to make some local friends to has some good intel for the future. I wish the GMU's cold be laid over on top of google earth, I've been on there a lot scouting the terrain for different areas.

So both BLM and Forest Service are public hunting allowed correct?

Also is there very many places in units where we would cross a fishing spot if I were to bring a compact fly rod along backpacking?

Thanks Brett

I'm really glad to see so many like-minded people sharing their thoughts, advice, and expertise. I feel like I have learned a lot , but at the same time I just keep coming up with more and more questions. Like........What are the roads like in the mountains? How high can you drive? How willing to help are the local folks?........
By the way, I'm from middle Tn. Down next to the Alabama state line. Roll tide!

Is it better to hunt before or after the muzzleloader hunt?

As a bow hunter we get first dibs then the Muzzy guys and last modern. I would think before less pressure on the animals.. if you can get in there before people start blowing calls and making the elk call shy that would be the way to go.. I have been in a few areas on different hunts with friends not hunting myself but there to lend a hand and help then out, and witness the over calling the elk just stop responding.. the weather was great 60 degrees slight rain they went cold from the pressure of the calling

If your going in aways both will work. But if your going to be hunting where other people will be there too I would hold off for the second week. But if your packing in I would watch the weather and see what's going to be like for the week you want to hunt. The weather is a game changer if its too hot if would stay home, if you have a good front forecasted with mild weather light rain a little wind that's perfect but it never happens that way,. Its one extreme or another

Sounds like you been there and done that and I appreciate you sharing your experience. For hunting here in Tennessee or even a 4 or 5 hour trip to Illinois we have been able to maximize our hunting efforts around the weather..... Well, not entirely true because sometimes you just want to hunt even if it is 90 degrees. However, for a trip to Colorado we will have to choose a hunting period months in advance due to the long trip,work, and such. Maybe we get lucky with the weather. Now another reason I ask about week1 or week2 is that I have been told that the elk are more vocal the later that you get into September.The best time to kill a big whitetail is in the rut (of course) or the first week of season before their patterns are disrupted. Which brings me back to week1. More bugling in week 2? or first crack at them in week 1? Sure would like to hear those bugles. Never heard that before. Maybe elk aren't like whitetails! Maybe I'm just overthinking this issue and just need to go hunt. I definitely NEED to go hunt.

You know its really hard to say for sure what would be a better week for vocalization, bugle cow talking. The 2 week would probably be better they should be fired up by then. Your in for an amazing show. I have hunted elk in Montana Idaho Oregon and my home state washington they are by far the most exciting north America animal to hunt. I only hunt elk and mule deer anymore I focus all my off season time preparing for the next season.

Sounds like you've had some great adventures. My brother has taken a couple elk and the size of these things are amazing. I've killed some good whitetail bucks but there is a lot of difference between a 200 lb deer and an elk. I can only imagine what a close encounter at 30 yards must be like. I expect it is one heck of an adrenaline rush! Again, thanks for the input.

I am going out this year also to hunt elk .Going to hunt in white river national forest.Going out with some friends that have been going out for about 15 years now.My friend got a nice 6x6 two years ago. Got my custom 300 RUM back from William Roscoe can't wait to do some long range hunting with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.