Need advice for Colorado elk hunt

Why is 81 so popular? And some of "them" Tennessee boys are pretty tough. All kidding aside, I am certain that the hunt will be extreme,grueling,exhausting,exciting,exhilarating............. I want some of that!
Am working hard at preparing,conditioning, and learning. Do appreciate all the input.

My family is in Crossville, so them hills will get you ready! It is pretty country, but there are alot of people who go there is all I am saying. Have real expectations and do not pass up legal elk, take em and on the next trip be picky! Feel free to email me and I will help with what I learned on the 2-years of hunting up there. I am assuming you will back pack in?

Larry

Glad to meet someone here with ties to the home-state. Appreciate your offer to help. I live about 3 hours southwest of crossville.

I am originally from Kentucky and now reside in Colorado. The hills in and around the area you live will go a long ways, in getting your endurance where it needs to be. The biggest shock to my system is the lack of oxygen. Unless you hike, while wearing a snorkel, not much will prepare you for that. Just take it slow and enjoy this beautiful state, it really is a sight to behold. Good luck with the prep work and keep us posted.

Here are a few pointers! that I have learmed on my DIY hunts in CO.

1 Get in the best shape you can.
2 Bring the best optics you can.
3 Practice to get fartherist effective rang with your weapon .
4 Mentaly prepare your self for a gruleing hunt where you will ache , shiver, strugle for breath and in the process Have the time of your life!!!

Now thats hunting! Perfect, Love it.

Truth be it seeing lots of elk is great, but man, in elk country there is no such thing as a bad hunt! If you are backpacking in, get a fishing license and take a fly rod! Good luck, have realistic goals, take the first shot you get, and enjoy!:D

We leased some acreage in Illinois and killed several mature bucks over a 3 year period. It was great! Work hard all week, leave out after the game on Friday night,drive several hours, hunt our butts off and drive home Sunday. Do it again the next week. It was great! The best part for me was that the adventure for next season started the day after last season. My new adventure has already started and I expect that elk country will be over the top.

I appreciate all the conversation from all who have shared. Have really enjoyed coming home and checking to see what's new on the thread. Have a couple more questions. Do any of you use sattelite phones? Sounds like a good idea to rent one. What about MRE's vs other pre-packaged meals? Hearing alot about lightning strikes. What's the deal?Read a laughter filled commentary on another site about critters and sidearms. Really enjoyed that one! Any comments?

Mountain House MRE's are the best in my opinion. I think a side arm is always a good thing as long as the law of the land allows.....which it should. I also would say SAT phones are not needed, but if you have the dough than go for it, its to expensive for me I just let family and friends know and go.

I have hunted elk most of my life, boots good ones are a must. You will find yourself doing alot of walking and if you do buy some new boots break thos bad boys in before the hunt. Now will you be hunting during the rut if so get good at calling cow calls calf calls bugle tubes I prefer diaphragm calls my self. Third thing. Optics get good ones I feel if you get a lower power optics to tend to slow down on your glassing and spot more if you have a high power you rush Thur and could miss animals...send me a message if you want more info I would be glad to help you and your kid out

Good pack, boots, and no cotton! I love mountain house, PB& trotillo sandwiches, fruit leather, and jerkey. I have to have coffee, but water is plentyful. The best thing is be in good shape and have a can do attitude! It can go from 65-degrees to 30 and snowing, so be prepared and have layers. Like wise, send me an email and I will email you pictures of the area if you like.

I appreciate all the conversation from all who have shared. Have really enjoyed coming home and checking to see what's new on the thread. Have a couple more questions. Do any of you use sattelite phones? Sounds like a good idea to rent one. What about MRE's vs other pre-packaged meals? Hearing alot about lightning strikes. What's the deal?Read a laughter filled commentary on another site about critters and sidearms. Really enjoyed that one! Any comments?

I like the mountain house we pack in 7 miles to our elk camp a few weeks before the season we take in most of the stuff so we go in pretty light when the season comes around. The only problem with mountain house is they are not cheap anymore this big prep crazy has sent them Thur the roof. ? What stove are you going to use. And is this a pack in camp or are you going to be hunting from your vehicle?.

We plan to hunt 7-8 days. We intend to break our hunting into two 3-4 day pack hunts with a trip into town for a shower and maybe a room for a night built in between. We would like to stay within 5 miles of our vehicle. Probably gonna do a pocket rocket. Is that the type stove you're talking about or are you suggesting something else? A lot of people here think it's nuts to do a trip like this..... You know.....sleep in the wilderness where you're maybe not at the top of the food chain, work that hard to have fun, be that far away from civilization. I want to see the sun rise from a place that most people might not appreciate or understand. And I really think it's a great opportunity to spend some quality time with God.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.