Need advice for Colorado elk hunt

Coachj

My son and I are preparing for a DIY elk hunt in Colorado. We plan to hunt unit 81. I would appreciate any advice and information that will help us prepare. Thanks!

I have never hunted elk. I have hunted whitetail deer my entire life having harvested several mature bucks from my home state of Tennessee and in Illinois. I have good basic hunting skills and am an avid outdoorsman. My brother has taken a couple decent bull elk over the years but I have not had the opportunity to hunt out west. Saying that, I realize that elk hunting has it's own challenges and that I have much work ahead of me in planning and physical conditioning. I am trying to get as much useful information as possible. Gotta tell you, I'm pumped over this!

Here are a few pointers! that I have learmed on my DIY hunts in CO.

1 Get in the best shape you can.
2 Bring the best optics you can.
3 Practice to get fartherist effective rang with your weapon .
4 Mentaly prepare your self for a gruleing hunt where you will ache , shiver, strugle for breath and in the process Have the time of your life!!!

I have never hunted elk. I have hunted whitetail deer my entire life having harvested several mature bucks from my home state of Tennessee and in Illinois. I have good basic hunting skills and am an avid outdoorsman. My brother has taken a couple decent bull elk over the years but I have not had the opportunity to hunt out west. Saying that, I realize that elk hunting has it's own challenges and that I have much work ahead of me in planning and physical conditioning. I am trying to get as much useful information as possible. Gotta tell you, I'm pumped over this!

I will give many own tips:

Give yourself 3 or 4 days to scout your area. Find animals in the morning and evening and try to find the same herd in the evening.

If you can get a horse, do it.

Carry something to check the wind. A small little puff bottle.

Be in great shape.

Eat a lot of good food.

Know the movement routes for when weather comes in.

What season are you going?

Thanks to the both of you for the help. I will be archery hunting in the middle part of September. My work only allows me 8 hunting days with 4 additional days for travel.It's a 21 hour drive. I have begun my physical preparation and am planning a hiking trip to the Smokies a little later. I had planned to walk in. Are you recommending a drop camp hunt by mentioning the horses? Have a few questions. Best way to find elk? (Hope they are bugling).do you use a Satellite phone? Have been advised to start hunting between 9000' and 11000'. Do you agree? Thanks again!

You can rent horses from several different people in Colorado. What you need is a place on private property to pick them up. From there, you would need a trailer or be camped at a trail head where you can ride in.

Hiking in is a good idea. The bulls will bugle sometimes until mid to late October.

Besides seeing elk, I like to walk the edge of black timber to locate areas where elk go in and out.

Talk to the locals, you'll figure it out.

Me and 2 friends are also planning our First DIY Elk Camping trip for 2013 Colorado 2nd Rifle Season hunt with OTC Bull Elk tags, So I've been researching till no end the areas, gear, maps. Pretty excited about it. Planning on heading out from Maryland with the Mega Cab and a 7x14 trailer packed with all kinds stuff.

How long of a drive is it from Maryland and how long you going to hunt? I've been researching lots of gear also. Are you buying much of yours online? I can't find much of that stuff in the stores where I live.

How long of a drive is it from Maryland and how long you going to hunt? I've been researching lots of gear also. Are you buying much of yours online? I can't find much of that stuff in the stores where I live.

It looks like Denver is 26hrs for us, probably be hunting 5 days. I usually always research my equipment online and buy it there too where I can find good deals unless it's something that would cost a ton to ship or things like boots that I like to try on first.

I have a friend with a success rate in 81 that far exceeds the state average. He does , however, get well off the beaten path. Are there lots of people in archery season?

Yes, archery is when I have been there. Hikers, hunters, and fisherman. There are elk, but it will not be like on TV where you bugle and they run in. The rEd Lake area gets hit HARD! Hit them TN hills with 50-lbs on your pack and you will have fun. Get towards the divide and you will loose many. There are a bunch of sheep and sheppards back there too.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.