Need Advice for a New Sheep & Goat Pack

Kifaru. If I was to buy a new pack that's what it would be. I've had the Kuiu Icon Pro and it's light but I don't think it'll take the weight and abuse as well. I also have a Mystery Ranch With the guide lite mt frame. It's definitely a tough pack but it's on the heavy side
Everyone has their own experience, but my icon pro 6000 has packed out an elk and a mulie each year since I bought it in 2014 (plus other random critters less consistently). I'm not very nice too it and there have been numerous slips and trips under load while stepping on/over blowdown that I was positive would result in rips/tears but it's held up through it all. I agree that the fabric doesn't "look or feel" like it's very durable.... but I've been proven wrong.

I took my son on a Elk hunt this past fall. We both used the outdoorsman long range hunting packs. They worked very well. I like how easily you transport meat with them as well there comfort. Packs are well built and tough and comfortable. Lots of adjustments within the pack. View attachment 182649
I have thos same gloves sitting on the atv!!😀 Walmart!!..lol

I'm an old guy but I've done four backpack sheep hunts in the last 10 years. My first hunt was with a Mystery Ranch and it was great, but heavy. The extra weight was more than it was worth. I still have it though if you want to buy it from me. I'm 5'6" 175 and 36" waist.
The last three hunts I used a KUIU and they worked awesome. I especially appreciated how light they are and how surprisingly well they have held up. That's my vote. I also hear Stone Glacier are great, but you can only have so many packs! :)

I'm an old guy but I've done four backpack sheep hunts in the last 10 years. My first hunt was with a Mystery Ranch and it was great, but heavy. The extra weight was more than it was worth. I still have it though if you want to buy it from me. I'm 5'6" 175 and 36" waist.
The last three hunts I used a KUIU and they worked awesome. I especially appreciated how light they are and how surprisingly well they have held up. That's my vote. I also hear Stone Glacier are great, but you can only have so many packs! :)
I want to know where I can find write ups about these 4 sheep hunts. I'm years, maybe lifetimes, away from a sheep hunt, so I need to live vicariously through others stories.

If you want the best go with either Kifaru, Stone Glacier, or Barneys. I like Kifaru because there are so many bag and accessory options. Stone Glacier doesn't provide camo so that's the only reason I didn't buy it. I would steer clear of Kuiu. As others have mentioned they really aren't designed for oversized/hefty loads.

There are many great packs out which is awesome for us hunters. What has been missing from the conversation is that packs are just like boots and that proper fit is most important. It might be a great pack for one but doesn't fit you and therefore won't be comfortable and sucks ***. The best advice is to try a few different manufacturers on loaded with some weight and see what fits you the best. I understand this is tough to do with expensive packs. I know Exo and Stone Glacier have return policies. Hunters are a great group of people and depending where you are located, many people will step up and meet you to let you try it out. Can't go wrong with Exo, Kifaru, Stone Glacier and a few others.

I want to know where I can find write ups about these 4 sheep hunts. I'm years, maybe lifetimes, away from a sheep hunt, so I need to live vicariously through others stories.
:) Well Bumpkin, you can read about all of them if you have access to old Trophy Hunter, Eastman's and Epic Outdoors magazines, but they are old news by now and probably not worth looking up. :) I packed my share during those adventures, but I always had my son along and that helped with the load. I will say that a good pack is a definite requirement for a 10-14 day hunt, (sheep or goat) and most of the ones talked about here would fit the bill.
Best of luck finding one that works!

stone glacier hands down
Curious, what other packs have you used prior to SG? If you are like me, you start at the cheapest options when you are young and poor, slowly upgrading as you wear things out and can afford better. I'm on my 3rd pack now, and it's just about worn out (the bag, not the CF frame), so I'm on the verge of either upgrading or just replacing the bag... trying to decide if the "upgrade" is truly an upgrade or if I'm just about to spend more money for very little gain. So, currently running the Kuiu Icon Pro 6000, I have zero complaints.

Or, you could be like my adult-onset-Hunter buddies who learn from MY experience and just jump right to the good stuff (because they can afford it).

So, sell me on the SG. Which one do you have, what other packs have you used that it can be compared to, why is it "better" than those packs?

Curious, what other packs have you used prior to SG? If you are like me, you start at the cheapest options when you are young and poor, slowly upgrading as you wear things out and can afford better. I'm on my 3rd pack now, and it's just about worn out (the bag, not the CF frame), so I'm on the verge of either upgrading or just replacing the bag... trying to decide if the "upgrade" is truly an upgrade or if I'm just about to spend more money for very little gain. So, currently running the Kuiu Icon Pro 6000, I have zero complaints.

Or, you could be like my adult-onset-Hunter buddies who learn from MY experience and just jump right to the good stuff (because they can afford it).

So, sell me on the SG. Which one do you have, what other packs have you used that it can be compared to, why is it "better" than those packs?

I had a couple eberlestocks, mystery ranch, sitka gear, kuiu etc
It fits me the best
Carries the weight really well
Its light
Doesnt have extra zippers and pockets and stuff you really dont need

You've gotten lots of good advice on pack brands so I won't add to that list. I currently run a Stone Glacier and have been very happy with it. What I will say is a 10 day hunt is a LONG hunt so buy a bigger bag than you think you need. I would be looking in the 5500 cu in range as a minimum. Yeah, you'll hear some guy tell you he can do 10 days out of his 3000 cu in pack, but I'd have my doubts. Goat country can be some of the steepest, nastiest terrain out there and I wouldn't want anything strapped to the outside snagging on brush, tearing holes in sleeping bags etc, because I didn't have room to get it inside my bag. The weight difference on actual bag size will be minimal and even a large bag will cinch down pretty small when all the capacity isn't needed. Also, most bags can be swapped out on the frames so you could run a 6000 cu in bag for your goat hunt and purchase a smaller bag later if you decided you wanted something different for day hunts.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.