Need Advice for a New Sheep & Goat Pack

BigBuck74

Well, after putting in for 54-56 tags annually across the united States for 13yrs this past year, I again have not drawn a sheep or goat tag yet.. So, I booked a goat hunt for this coming season in BC.... I feel like I need a new pack... I am an old school pack guy when it comes to elk, moose and all other smaller four legged game... at lower altitudes.. I need some good advice for a good 10 day mountain pack for sheep and goat. Also I am un-proportionate in build. Built like a wrestler... Solid upper body 5'7" with a 46" chest, 36" waist. So I need something forgiving to the shorter torso man. I have looked at Barneys, Mystic Ranch, Kuiu.... and everyone I know has a different opinion.. I was also told Exo packs too...

I need some experienced help..

Thanks

Last edited:
I think upper class boots and packs all have their followers and for different reasons. Just saw on the Crispi boot thread a suggestion to buy several and choose. Sound advice! Check which ones you can return no hassle and THAT speaks to a good company too. I never heard of Barney's but the rest all into 3,4,5th generations of their packs.

I'll vote EXO yes because I have one. Mark is the owner and have spoken to him several times. Cool. Call him! I knew the minute I snapped the hip belt it was what I was looking for. There was a little learning curve as I had a badlands pack with more pockets I used for years. I bagged some small items and made them into kits and like that quite well. The interior dry bag approach is seamless although I seldom use it in the field. I will when on a wilderness trip.

When I was looking, Kuiu had squeaky issues. I couldn't take that chance! I can hear my leather sheath rub when stalking, makes me crazy LOL. I moved everything to my pack now and went with a light flat belt. Mystery Ranch seems the big boy of the group and price and weight match that. The only reason I didn't look more into those is the weight, price and likelihood of really needing a bombproof meat hauler.

My pack is a gen2. 6 months later they changed a few things. Nothing to make me wish I waited. Everything is backwards compatible anyway. Oh, take a look on youtube EXO Christmas surprise... Really nice touch for guys who bought a pack last year. Happy EXO owner, highly recommend.

I have a kuiu icon pro that I use in the high country. I'm loving it. Very light weight has held up to the abuse I put it through including 100+ lb pack outs. I'm also built a bit like a wrestler with a large chest and short torso and the small frame with large harness works well for me.

On another note I've got a buddy that is in love with his stone glacier pack so there's another option.

I think upper class boots and packs all have their followers and for different reasons. Just saw on the Crispi boot thread a suggestion to buy several and choose. Sound advice! Check which ones you can return no hassle and THAT speaks to a good company too. I never heard of Barney's but the rest all into 3,4,5th generations of their packs.

I'll vote EXO yes because I have one. Mark is the owner and have spoken to him several times. Cool. Call him! I knew the minute I snapped the hip belt it was what I was looking for. There was a little learning curve as I had a badlands pack with more pockets I used for years. I bagged some small items and made them into kits and like that quite well. The interior dry bag approach is seamless although I seldom use it in the field. I will when on a wilderness trip.

When I was looking, Kuiu had squeaky issues. I couldn't take that chance! I can hear my leather sheath rub when stalking, makes me crazy LOL. I moved everything to my pack now and went with a light flat belt. Mystery Ranch seems the big boy of the group and price and weight match that. The only reason I didn't look more into those is the weight, price and likelihood of really needing a bombproof meat hauler.

My pack is a gen2. 6 months later they changed a few things. Nothing to make me wish I waited. Everything is backwards compatible anyway. Oh, take a look on youtube EXO Christmas surprise... Really nice touch for guys who bought a pack last year. Happy EXO owner, highly recommend.
I appreciate that! I agree, the lack of all the little compartments was my hang up. Even one small compartment for head lamp, and surefire to be readily accessible.

I'd recommend talking to Stone Glacier and giving their system a try. They offer top tier products across the board and their packs are very well designed and constructed and are some of the lightest in class. Kifaru is another very, very well made brand, but they are a bit heavier.

proving trail adventures has a good gear list on their blog.

In Hawaii I hunted sheep for 30 plus years. I started with a burlap bag pack and my mom sewed my straps from old car seat belts, a open sight mini 14 and we used rubber boots because the lava rocks would tear up any and all of the cheap shoes that we could afford. Fast forward 30 years and a lot of things have changed.
I'm fortunate my dad busted his a** to give us a better life and it rubbed off on me and I too worked 40-60 hrs a week doing construction. I have 2 sons and buy them the best I can afford. Our shoes.... crispi boots. I've tried everything and found them to be ready to go out of the box, actually waterproof, durable and somewhat lighter than the other brands. Packs ... we now use stone glacier exclusively. I've had kuiu packs fail 5 times. The carbon fiber breaks at the top where the strap connects. They even told me if it breaks one more time that they wouldn't warranty it. They sent me a new and upgraded version but it just sits. You might want to try the new stone glacier Kiowa 3200 Cu in version as it's the best one I've used yet and my 12 year old son fits it well and I've packed out 5 sheep before without any problems. I just wish they made it in camo so the blood stains are so obvious. Just my two cents... good luck!! Aloha

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 205
Thanks! I heard that exact problems about the Kuiu packs from many guys. Stone Glacier has been recommended to me as well. I am leaning towards the Mystic Ranch but still haven't made my mind up yet. Exo seems really good too. I wear Kenetrek boots, they have the stiffness I need in the sole, I also wore Zamberlain boots too.. not as impressed with them as much.

There have been some really good suggestions. I run the Kuiu Icon Pro, but I've only ever done a 5-day backpack hunt. I could have done a 10 with my pack (basically adding 5 more 1-gal bags of food).
I just listened to a Stuck-n-the-Rut podcast and they use the Barney's packs. Apparently a large percentage of the guides use them (something to consider).
I got curious and looked them up. Spendy!!!
$446 for the Yukon bag plus $290 for the frame. I'd love to try them out..... some day.

I was bidding on one at the SCI show.... I always liked old school external frames... I could always loose the pack and just use the frame for hauling... I have an old Cabelas Outfitter Series frame pack... It actually still works well and has packed many animals!

I have the Kuiu icon pro. I like it with a smaller bag on the pack, but don't like the way the 7200ci pack carries a load. I have a short torso and I can't seem to get it short enough to be perfect. I've tried it different ways to carry a heavy load but always seems to carry the weight too low. Barney's packs weigh 9-10lbs alone so used it one time and sold it. I'm looking at a Stone Glacier and will take a look at an Exo

You need to check out Kifaru. They have incredible adjustability and they can haul weight like no other. I am built similarly to you and its the only one ive found that is comfortable with heavy loads. They might lightweight versions now as well. Give them a call

I'm built similar to OP, 5'6", 165, 34" waist, and have been using the same Kuiu Ultra 3000 since 2014. Packing treestands, logs, rocks, elk, Mt. Goat, deer, whatever. Just can't kill it or break it. And the lightweight bag has help up incredibly well, no tears, pulls or whatever. I also have the 6000 bag that gets used for packing game and multiday hunts. Takes about 3 minutes to swap bags.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.