Need Advice - 7mm Weatherby Magnum

Based on my observations, if you try the 131 Hammer Hunter, do yourself a favor and ask Steve for a sample pack each of the 131 Hunter and the 131 Heavy to test.

I have tried the 131 Hunter (the pointy one) in several of the 7mm Wby rifles here, and they will only feed in one of the rifles reliably, and one other about half of the time. The other rifles (at least 4 of them, probably more) it does not matter one iota what the COAL is, the tip will jam into the barrel just below the chamber. It's a long explanation as to why that happens, and has to do with the floating magazine on the Weatherby, but it happens.

I can load the 131 Heavy and have zero issues with any of them feeding. It all has to do with the (rounder) shape of the bullet and how it gets fed into the chamber. However, I have not yet worked up a load with the Heavy. That is an upcoming project. I've also asked Steve if they can try for about a 142 Heavy that would work great in the 7mm Weatherby and feed perfectly every time.

The 131 Hunter with MRP gets to 3550fps and does a great job on game.

Dad's rifle uses H-1000 to shoot the Barnes 150 TTSX accurately and with devastating effect as well.

Let us know what you try.

I need to get a wby in my hands so we can see that feeding issue. You should post the pics you sent me and see what others think. Diff thread. Sorry for the hijack.

The 7mm wby was designed to be the fastest thing to 400y out there. Thus the slow twist. Load the 131g Hammer Hunter at about 3500 fps and let it eat.

3600 is smoking fast! At close range, say under 100 yards, What effect on game would the 131gr hammer hunter going 3600FPS have on game? I'd expect a lot of bloodshot tissue.

3600 is smoking fast! At close range, say under 100 yards, What effect on game would the 131gr hammer hunter going 3600FPS have on game? I'd expect a lot of bloodshot tissue.
Based on my experience, 3550 at close range just gets you a dead antelope.

I've not seen excessive bloodshot meat or anything. They're really quite impressive.

Tried a lot of slow burning powders in my 7mm Wea and while most worked good the best in terms of accuracy and velocity is Norma MRP. When I use the Barnes 145 LRX with a max load of MRP lit with a Fed 215 I get 3327 ft/sec and appx .75 MOA. This powder also gives me 3157 ft/sec with the 175 gr Hornady interlock and great accuracy.My rifle has a 26" barrel.

You gents have me thinking...if the Weatherby can push the 131 3500, and the Rem Mag can push it 3350, I wonder how fast my 7 RUM can push it? I currently use the 131 in a 7-08 that the kids have to shoot well before they upgrade so I have some. It's killed some really nice animals with excellent performance. I think the 131 would be a shining star in the Weatherby.

You gents have me thinking...if the Weatherby can push the 131 3500, and the Rem Mag can push it 3350, I wonder how fast my 7 RUM can push it? I currently use the 131 in a 7-08 that the kids have to shoot well before they upgrade so I have some. It's killed some really nice animals with excellent performance. I think the 131 would be a shining star in the Weatherby.
We loaded the 131g Hammer Hunter in a customer's 28 Nosler that was a 10" twist. We took it up to 3700fps in load development and wound up settling on a load of rl23 at 3589fps. This was a relatively mild load that shot a ragged hole at 200y. As much as we like to push we try to keep our customer rifles med/rare.

Good morning

I am sorry, if I highjack this thread a little. I bought a used 7mm Wby. Mark V many years ago. It is a Japanese rilfe. I never got it to stabilize the bullets. At 100 yards, they would hit the target sideways.
We tried various wby factory ammo, but still the same result.
If I understand your recommendations correctly, does that mean that only the 120gr. TTSX would shoot properly? Why are all the other factory loads using heavier bullets?

I think about giving up on the 7mm and just have it re-barreled in .300 Win Mag.

thanks for your advice
M

In my 7mm Weatherby I am launching a 140 gr Barnes TSX at 3450 (earlier I had posted 3550 here) avg velocity using Norma MRP powder and Fed 215 match primers. I don't remember how many grains of powder off hand but I know my uncle on the other side of the farm always asks 'What in the world did you fire off that time?' Its rather loud and has some recoil.

Someone asked what happens with such high velocity bullets at close range, the closest I have shot anything with it was 250 yards. I shot an Antelope in its front shoulder as it was facing me, the bullet traveled entirely through his body and exited the opposite rear leg breaking the shoulder blade on the way in, going through every organ other than the heart and kidneys and broke the femur on exit with a baseball sized hole.

Another Antelope doe I shot at 350 yards was perfectly broadside, I aimed behind her shoulder for a lung shot. She dropped where she was standing, the lungs were vaporized mush and a broken rib in and out. I intended on very little meat damage and had none.

Last edited:
I think about giving up on the 7mm and just have it re-barreled in .300 Win Mag

My 7 Wby preferred loads:
120 TTSX @ 3650, 74 gr IMR 4350 - 1/2 moa
140 TTSX @ 3400, 76 gr RL 22 - 1/2 moa
140 A Frame @ 3250, 76 gr RL 22 - 3/4 moa
150 Scirocco @ 3250, 75 gr RL 22 - 1/2 moa
160 North Fork @ 3200, 74 gr RL 22 - 1/2 moa
These loads are from the factory barrel after having been cut back to 24".

I once rebarreled my Mk V to 7mm Dakota & regretted it at its first range trip. I gained nothing for my trouble but heavy doses of recoil. There were no velocity gains at all. I immediately had it returned to its original 7 Wby configuration. I am quite glad I did.

It is my favorite 7mm. I have collected much table fare with that gun.

Last edited:
In my 7mm Weatherby I am launching a 140 gr Barnes TSX at 3550 avg velocity using Norma MRP powder and Fed 215 match primers. I don't remember how many grains of powder off hand but I know my uncle on the other side of the farm always asks 'What in the world did you fire off that time?' Its rather loud and has some recoil.

Someone asked what happens with such high velocity bullets at close range, the closest I have shot anything with it was 250 yards. I shot an Antelope in its front shoulder as it was facing me, the bullet traveled entirely through his body and exited the opposite rear leg breaking the shoulder blade on the way in, going through every organ other than the heart and kidneys and broke the femur on exit with a baseball sized hole.

Another Antelope doe I shot at 350 yards was perfectly broadside, I aimed behind her shoulder for a lung shot. She dropped where she was standing, the lungs were vaporized mush and a broken rib in and out. I intended on very little meat damage and had none.

That sounds like a real hammer! Are You are getting that velocity with a factory barrel? Also, are you getting any signs of pressure?

My 7 Wby preferred loads:
120 TTSX @ 3650 - 1/2 moa
140 TTSX @ 3400 - 1/2 moa
140 A Frame @ 3250 - 3/4 moa
150 Scirocco @ 3250 - 1/2 moa
160 North Fork @ 3200 - 1/2 moa
These loads are from the factory barrel after having been cut back 24".

I once rebarreled my Mk V to 7mm Dakota & regretted it at its first range trip. I gained nothing for my trouble but heavy doses of recoil. There were no velocity gains at all. I immediately had it returned to its original 7 Wby configuration. I am quite glad I did.

It is my favorite 7mm. I have collected much table fare with that gun.

Thank you for the response? What is the twist rate of your barrel? Also would you care to share the powder you were using for each load?

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.