Need Advice... 7mm 180grn Berger VLD

bdyal1972

I would like to build a EXTREMELY long range rifle around the berger .284 180 grain vld. 3200fps transsonic over 2000 meters....

This rifle will be for hunting and target shooting as well as fun!

I have experience with 300smk's in the 338 lapua and 208amx-210berger-220smk and 240smk's in the 300win and 30-378. I am looking to make a rifle that shoots as flat or flatter than above without as much recoil. A 180 grain bullet in a 7mm is a LOT less recoil than a 300 in a 338 lapua!

Have any of you built such a rifle?

What case?

What action? I am thinking the Surgeon Magnum action as I am planning on a 30"-32" barrel Open to suggestions... Must be a repeater.

What magazine... Open to suggestions.

Barrel? I am thinking an ABS carbon wrapped to keep weight down.

Stock? I am partial to Bell and Carlson's and how they fit me. I believe in bedding blocks. Also open to bull pups and tube guns...

Weight should be no more than 14-15 lbs max...

gun)

The 195 gr /.284 Berger is coming and will have an advertised G1 BC of close to .800 which is almost what the .338 / 300 gr has. It is said to need a 1 in 8.5 twist. I would plan for that bullet. I think it will fit right into your plan. For a case I have had great success with the 180's in a necked down 300 win case (7mm/300win). With a 28 1/2" tube we got some 180's over 3150. And over 3050 easily from 26" tubes.

Jeff

My stw ran 3200 with them with a 30" tube. I'd have to dig for a load description.It was a tad hot lol. The 195 might get me back in the 7mm hunt again. The 180 just doesnt have the energy for me at 1k and out. My next light gun will be a 7mm ultra with the 195 or a 270 stw or ultra with the 170. The 270 stw with the 170 would be a good pick too since you are willing to make horsepower concessions to the 300 and 338 anyway.

I have a 7mm RUM:-

iancorless_036expressrifles.jpg

BAT Action
Jewel Trigger
Border 32" Barrel (I think its 1 in 8 twist)
Pain Killer Brake - Its really a bit big for this chambering but it works brilliantly!
McMillan A5 adj stock

Upto now its been a bit tricky to get a pet load but this rifle likes faster powders than the norm for a 7mm RUM. Massive sooting on the cases with Retumbo - currently using N160 powder with 180gr Berger VLD's. At present its a bit of a Love-Hate story with the RUM!

Velocity has been a bit of a disapointment also (only getting around 3000 fps upto now)

If I was in the States and could get hold of one............... I would be having a 7mm Allen Magnum (7mm/.338 lap mag case) instead of the RUM - I prefer Lapua brass for one - there is a limited supply of RUM brass over here (Rem or Nosler Custom are the only two readily available)

Allen Magnum Wildcats

Really like Kirby's work! - If your out there Mr Allen I would love a .338 AM sent to England please!!

Nitro.

Just a thought on energy on target...

240 grain 44 caliber bullet leaving a barrel at 1250 fps will penetrate clean through the chest cavity of a deer or elk at 300+ yards... This is a proven fact. repeated by hundreds of times over the past 45+ years.

A real sharp pointy 195 grain 7mm bullet or 240 grain .308 bullet will poke a nice hole through ANY deer or elk from 600fps all the way up to 1500fps if it doesn't expand and MOST of the time even if it's tumbling.... These bullets have enough VELOCITY left after 1 deer to still penetrate another!

Most of the ENERGY we wish for on target is wasted in the dirt, rock or backstop on the far side of the animal we shoot. Most bullets that penetrate completely rarely

HENCE we really don't need all this extra ENERGY on target, we need velocity in a bullet that is long enough and spinning fast enough to be stable to not tumble as it penetrates if the velocity is below the expansion point.

Energy on target is VITALLY important on hardened targets, doors, some glass, Steel gongs.....

HOWEVER as long as we are shooting at flesh and blood that usually doesn't slow down a bullet that much...

How much velocity do you lose going through and animal? 30% 50%?
If you lost most of your VELOCITY (energy) You would not have to worry about pass through shots.

That's why frangible bullets are so effective... 45cal frangible bullets still make massive canaloupe woulds at 750fps!

How much energy did that 45 bullet expend in the target? ALL THE ENERGY IT HAD!

Yet that 45 frangible that does such a nice job expends NOT A FRACTION of the energy the 1500fps 195 grain 7mm bullet that zinged all the way through and expended in the dirt behind it....

Just a thought.

gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.