Need A Standard 1-Piece Base - New Winchester Model 70

Stump

Hey all,

I've been looking everywhere, for a standard single dovetail 1-piece base that will fit my rifle. It's a 2010 Winchester Model 70, in .308. I cannot find anything. If anyone has a lead on a company that makes a non-picatinny 1-piece base, I would love to hear it!

Thank you.

That's what I thought, too. Number 51738 long range standard base. Unfortunately, Leupold says it won't fit.

Did you give Brownells a try? I've got one up in the shop, but i would need the hole spacing on your rifle to confirm a match up.

The base i have has 3 holes, 1 at the windage end and 2 up front. From the windage hole to the first hole on the dove tail end is 3& 13/16" ctr to ctr the dovetail holes are 7/8" ctr to ctr apart.

Thank you for the information, Gary. I can't find my calipers and I'm headed out until tomorrow. I'll get those measurements to you, as soon as possible.

The base i have has 3 holes, 1 at the windage end and 2 up front. From the windage hole to the first hole on the dove tail end is 3& 13/16" ctr to ctr the dovetail holes are 7/8" ctr to ctr apart.
Okay, I was able to make some measurements. That would appear to be a long action base, Gary. Although my holes are 7/8" center to center, that measurement is about 3 1/2".

Thanks for the link, Feenix. That's definitely an option.

I called Winchester today (why do they not have a simple email link?) and they said that I have a standard short action and that any SA base will fit. This doesn't jibe with my gunsmith, so I wandered over to the gun store and talked to them about ordering a basic Leupold 1-piece base. It turns out that one of them has the same rifle. He said he spent a long time looking and buying bases and never did find one that fit. They were all too long, or too short. It would appear that this may be an intermediate length action, or at least the holes are lined up speshul.

Thanks you both for the ideas and the help! :)

I had the same problem with a Mod. 70 Coyote Lite i bought. Circa 2005 bought it in 2007. Those dates should tell you everything if your up on Winchester. 05 is the year they shut the plant down in CONN. Any way the rifle was a standard 243. The holes drilled for the scope base were for a WSSM. How i found out was by calling Warne. The lady i talked to there was very knowledgable about thier bases and what hole spacings were for what actions. Give them a call.

I figured it might be the WSSM spacing. I have to ask why the company would further complicate things by offering a third spacing setup. What is the point? I'll go ahead and call Warne. Thanks, Gary.

Well at the end of the CONN. plant quality control went out the window. I'll probably ruffle some feathers here, but it is nothing more than union ********. That is exactly why Winchester pulled out of CONNETICUT.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.