Need a spotting scope

Ts3

For years I've been wanting a spotting scope for use at the range while working up rifle loads but now I've found an excuse to buy one. I'm planning my first western hunt for next October(DIY antelope in Wyoming). I hunt deer and black bear in the Ouachitas so I've never had any use for long range optics on a hunt. From reading it seems I'll be doing a lot of glassing from the truck next year.
I'm not quite ready to buy but I'm hoping to find a deal on a good used scope from one of you gents in the classified section in the next several months.
At this point I am thinking Swarovski 65mm, razor HD 65mm, or golden ring HD 60mm. Not sure if I would want a larger scope or not but I am looking at the 80mm+ vortex, leupold, and Nightforce as well.
Price range in the used market <$2k for sure and hopefully closer to $1k.
Thoughts? Concerns? Thanks fellas!

Been using the Razor HD for about 2 years now and have been very pleased with it and vortex has very good warranty and customer service.

Yep, Vortex Razor.

I got a crazy good deal on my 85mm straight from Cameraland during one of their sales.

I boought one of their demo's, but because of a inventory quirk, they ended up having a new one drop shipped straight from Vortex.

So I got a brand new scope for the sale + demo price.:D:D:D:D

I hear so much good stuff about vortex. I was at the opening of a cabelas last weekend and a rep from vortex was there. We talked for a while and he showed me the 85mm razor. Seemed great but I think it's hard to tell much difference inside a store. I'll just be watching for a deal.
Anyone with any experience with the golden rings?

I've done lots of searching reading reviews,etc. My short list under 2K.
Since you are glassing from a truck I would think about a larger scope than 65MM. The difference between 65mm and 80mm all things being equal is very apparent.

Zen Ray is good but only come in an angled if that's your preference. Nice scope < 1K.
Vortex Razor another good option, though only seen them listed at $1600.00.
I did fine a Pentax 80mm and XW 14 eyepiece online for $680.00. Very happy:D.

I've done lots of searching reading reviews,etc. My short list under 2K.
Since you are glassing from a truck I would think about a larger scope than 65MM. The difference between 65mm and 80mm all things being equal is very apparent.

Zen Ray is good but only come in an angled if that's your preference. Nice scope < 1K.
Vortex Razor another good option, though only seen them listed at $1600.00.
I did fine a Pentax 80mm and XW 14 eyepiece online for $680.00. Very happy:D.

Vortex is very strict with their vendors regarding the advertised price. Every vendor has to advertise at the $1600 price or so. They aren't allowed to show cheaper prices.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.