• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Need a Smith to build a SAAMI 280AI

Bob Wright

"Need recommendations on a Smith to put together a SAAMI spec 280AI."

I have chosen a custom builder. Thanks for all the advice and time giving me great info and leads. Tough decision with all the talented people across 'Merica.

Last edited:
Need recommendations on a Smith to put together a SAAMI spec 280AI. I have the 700 action, bolt and sporter barrel for a decent weight pack rifle. Hunting primarily.
Live in the Arizona area but willing to ship. Assumptions, I will supply the needed reamer/gages if smith does not have the one he recommends.
Any recommendations greatly appreciated.
I have built quite a few 280 ai. I have a new reamer here. Just let me know what you need. Jason 4064916109

Axisworks in Tempe built my .280AI. It is a tack driver. They are currently building my 4th Axisworks rifle.

Phoenix Custom Rifles has also built me 4 rifles. Every single one has been ridiculously accurate as well.

Kyle Craig of Craig's Custom Rifles in Tucson builds a really nice rifle for the money. He built my buddy a 7mm Rem Mag and it's a tack driver. My next build will be from him....

Seth Menold at Zeffers Weaponry in Pennsylvania has built 2 rifles in 280AI for me. The last one was a sporter. Shoots a cloverleaf at 100 yards with 160 grain Nolser's. He has done about 6 rifles for me and turns projects around in weeks instead of months.

Last edited:
Need recommendations on a Smith to put together a SAAMI spec 280AI. I have the 700 action, bolt and sporter barrel for a decent weight pack rifle. Hunting primarily.
Live in the Arizona area but willing to ship. Assumptions, I will supply the needed reamer/gages if smith does not have the one he recommends.
Any recommendations greatly appreciated.
Try Adam Busse at GunWare LLC. My buddy supplied them a Cooper Action and got himself a killer 280AI with a proof cf. It's a **** hammer.
Sounds like you have your parts but Adam stocks a TON of components so wait times are much less than others. Try him online at GunWare.net.
He also frequently travels to Texas and further west for field matches, hunting and his customers. He has an excellent reputation for building exceptional rifles.

Lot's of options for you, with several in AZ (always nice if you can drop the rifle off in person and talk to the gunsmith face-to-face.)
But on the off chance you are still looking, one of the best gunsmiths I've ever dealt with is CHARLEY ROBERTSON at SCORE-HIGH in Albuquerque, NM. Rem 700s are his specialty, though he'll work on most rifles. What I like about him is he is so meticulous and has this inner compulsion to 'do it right'. He just can't let it go out the door if it isn't perfect. I like that!
Score High Gunsmithing
9812-A Cochiti Rd. SE
Albuquerque, NM 87123
Ph# 505-292-5532 or 800-326-5632

From their website:
"By far the quickest and easiest way to get information from us or to order products is to call us toll free at (800) 326-5632. We are available weekdays during regular business hours. We can also be reached by e-mail at [email protected]. If you are interested in building a particular rifle, e-mail me the details of what you would like and include your name and a postal address or fax number. I will put together an estimate and mail it to you as an Adobe pdf file."

Lot's of options for you, with several in AZ (always nice if you can drop the rifle off in person and talk to the gunsmith face-to-face.)
But on the off chance you are still looking, one of the best gunsmiths I've ever dealt with is CHARLEY ROBERTSON at SCORE-HIGH in Albuquerque, NM. Rem 700s are his specialty, though he'll work on most rifles. What I like about him is he is so meticulous and has this inner compulsion to 'do it right'. He just can't let it go out the door if it isn't perfect. I like that!
Score High Gunsmithing
9812-A Cochiti Rd. SE
Albuquerque, NM 87123
Ph# 505-292-5532 or 800-326-5632

From their website:
"By far the quickest and easiest way to get information from us or to order products is to call us toll free at (800) 326-5632. We are available weekdays during regular business hours. We can also be reached by e-mail at [email protected]. If you are interested in building a particular rifle, e-mail me the details of what you would like and include your name and a postal address or fax number. I will put together an estimate and mail it to you as an Adobe pdf file."

I have used Charlie @ ScoreHigh several times with great results, and Clayton @ WTO is building my 4th.

Charlie will make a sweet 700 and Clayton has built a bunch of 280a.i. & 6.5-280s.

Alamo Precision Rifles (APR) if you want an excellent build at a reasonable price. Turn around for a full custom is usually 7-8 months. They've built me 4 rigs. All shoot knots and show their attention to detail in every aspect.

Scott Weichel @ Live Oaks will build you a precision instrument that is PRS Comp ready aside from you seeking a 280AI. Scott's just that good of a builder. Turnaround will be slower due to him being a small shop and his fanatical attention to all things required in alignment and geometry to hand you a rig that will blow your mind in accuracy coupled with beauty.

I should have my 7WSM within a couple weeks from Scott.

Alamo Precision Rifles (APR) if you want an excellent build at a reasonable price. Turn around for a full custom is usually 7-8 months. They've built me 4 rigs. All shoot knots and show their attention to detail in every aspect.

Scott Weichel @ Live Oaks will build you a precision instrument that is PRS Comp ready aside from you seeking a 280AI. Scott's just that good of a builder. Turnaround will be slower due to him being a small shop and his fanatical attention to all things required in alignment and geometry to hand you a rig that will blow your mind in accuracy coupled with beauty.

I should have my 7WSM within a couple weeks from Scott.
Share when you get your load developed. This sounds great.