Need a ring recommendation

I bought a lapping kit that came with a torque wrench that I do not trust. When I do torque small screws I use my 1/4" drive beam scale torque wrench that I use for lots of other things. Easy to see when those are out of calibration, unlike any type of "clicker." Easy to re-calibrate them too!

That said, I went decades before ever using a torque wrench on scope rings. Mounted a lot of scopes during my time behind the counter, never had one come back. Most were Burris rings, but a few (thankfully only a few) were Weavers with the sheet metal top strap.

those old weaver were tough to keep the scope straight but once they were straight and tight I never had a scope move I do not use them these days they are still a solid tough mount though just UGLY and not worth all the trouble

Yeah, they only moved when you were tightening the screws and never after that point. Unfortunately they always moved when tightening those screws and predicting how far it was going to move this time was the game. It was a tiresome game at that. I got so that I'd sell folks those rings if they insisted on them, but the shop would not do the install. Like you said, they weren't worth the trouble.

Buehler rings, OTOH, were even more work than the Weavers, but when you did finally get them sorted they were rock solid and a whole lot better looking thant he Weavers. Thankfully I only installed a couple sets of those.

Yeah, they only moved when you were tightening the screws and never after that point. Unfortunately they always moved when tightening those screws and predicting how far it was going to move this time was the game. It was a tiresome game at that. I got so that I'd sell folks those rings if they insisted on them, but the shop would not do the install. Like you said, they weren't worth the trouble.

Buehler rings, OTOH, were even more work than the Weavers, but when you did finally get them sorted they were rock solid and a whole lot better looking thant he Weavers. Thankfully I only installed a couple sets of those.
I never dealt with any of those. Sounds like I should be glad of that. LoL

Buehler two piece rings had peel shims where the ring halves met like the original shim washers used to time AR15 flash hiders. Peel off shims one at a time to fit the rings to the scope. With determination and a lot of time it was possible to achieve a zero gap, tight fit on pretty much any scope.

If you mean bed with, I use J.B weld on rings and bases.
Devcon and Marine tec on stocks

Last edited:
Man I have never seen rings slip that have been lapped and torqued correctly. Even the super cheep ones from E-bay. I really don't understand why everyone doesn't do this.
Because I never needed to lap any of my rings, and there are other means other than lapping to increase surface contact or securing the scope. For rings that do not use inserts or bedded, I tape similar to https://highpoweroptics.com/ringtrue-tape/. They sell them for ~$10 that is good for 3 scopes. I paid mine for $8.99 for 36 yards at Amazon.

Scope ring mylar tape.jpg

.30 Gibbs scoped 7 of .jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.