Need a rimfire 3P gunsmith

RDM416

Anyone here building competition rimfire rifles or know of a good builder?

A little explanation of what I am looking for.... My daughter shoots 3P small bore, Olympic style free rifle. She is shooting very good and is serious about taking this all the way to the Olympics. I really want to build her a VERY accurate "position" rifle.

I have been rather surprised to find that even the Olympic level shooters only really pay lip service to accuracy. The extent of it seems to be they take actions such as the Anschutz 2013 which accepts drop in barrels. They swap barrels around till they find one that shoots fairly well and then call it good. When accuracy is compared to benchrest rifles the accuracy is just not there.

Now, the problem I am running into is when I talk to the BR rimfire builders, they don't want to build a "position" rifle.

Anyone out there willing to take on the challenge of building a position rifle capable of BR level accuracy?

I am assuming you will be using the Anschutz platform for standardization of stocks and triggers and sights. The factory guns are pretty good and you want to go with 22-26" barrel lengths. I would suggest using the 54 series action and staying away from the 2000 series with the split receiver for quick barrel changes.
You will have way more $ in ammo costs to get to the Olympic level than in equipment. Eley match eps @ $1300 case. The only gunsmithing you should need is a new barrel every 20000 rounds or so.
PM me for phone # if you want to discuss more.
BV

I have done lots of position shooting with High Power rifles and use small bore rifles for lots of the practice,
But have not compeated in small bore (22 RF).

So take my advice for what it is worth.

I to like the Anschutz 54 and 64 actions. I have built many 17 HMRs on them and they are deadly
at 100 yards (less than 1/2' 10 shot groups).

I like to fit my own barrel so I buy a stainless Lilja blank and do the chambering and fitting to
the reciever(I do the press fit and 2 pin method)

One of the most important parts of a position rifle of any kind is the Stock. It must fit the shooter
in everyway. In your case short and reasonable light and perfictly balanced.

After a good barrel, stock and good smithing comes the ammo. Everything has to be right to
shoot well.

Just because ammo is expensave does not make it accurate so try everything you can put your hands
on price not with standing.

Rim fires are the most finicky as far as ammo goes. I competed in small bore pistols (Off hand)
with 4 different brands and found that each liked different brands of ammo. Note; None of them
liked Eley as much as the other ammo brands that was the best for that pistol and my rifles.

If they had prefered the Eley I of course would have used it. The closest thing to the best that I
tried was RWS 100.

One other thing that I found was that every thing that shot well in my pistols and rimfire rifles
was led bullets (No Jacketed bullets).

So, A good shooter cant shoot well with a poor rifle, and a poor shooter cant shoot well with a
good rifle. It takes every thing to work and the shooter is a major part of it.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the advice J.E. Custom. I have found two smiths who are well known for building great BR rimfire guns and are willing to take on my project. I have set the wheels in motion for both of them. I am having each one build a rifle on the Anschutz 54 action. In the end, we will see which one shoots the best. I will either sell the other or use it as the backup gun. Then again..... maybe both will shoot great!

This rimfire stuff is so much different than my big 338 magnum stuff from Kirby! I am learning, although slowly.:rolleyes:

Yes, I am learning how important ammo is, and that the most expensive is not always the one that will shoot best. Problem is, when you find one that shoots you can't just go load some more up..... you gotta have more of that exact lot number. Its a real pain in the butt!

I'll get it all figured out eventually. Anything for my little girl! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.