Need a recipe for 6.5 PRC

I liked RE26 because it provided excellent accuracy in several cartridges. The higher velocities were a bonus. At the time, I had no problem finding an 8lb jug. Most of my loads were worked up in the spring when temperatures were in the 60s. While the stories of spiking pressures with RE26 became commonplace, I continued to shoot in the 70s so never experienced any issues myself.

While I was on the continual hunt for H1000, I was able to find an 8lb jug of RE23. As my supply of RE26 was diminishing, I started to work with the RE23. I was pleasantly surprised to find that accurate loads were easy to find and that attainable velocities were still good, even though they were not as high as the RE26 loads.

I was running the 124H bullets at 3,300 ft/sec with RE26 from my 23.5" Proof barrel. The RE23 loads shoot just under 3,200 ft/sec. That seemed like a good trade for a temperature stable powder that I had on the shelf. Both loads shoot sub .5 moa at 417yds.

The interesting thing about RE26 is that some reloaders seem to experience temperature related spikes while others have not. Some have apparently seen spikes when temps are in the high 80s while others shoot in the 90s without issues. I'm content with avoiding the issue all together and since RE26 is only available at the end of a rainbow, it's just not in my reloading equation anymore.
N560 will give the same if not better velocities than R26 with less pressure and is not temp sensitive . R23 is a good burn rate for the 6.5 PRC, if you are using mag primers , go too standard primers and you will be able too move up in the powder charge with a vel increase . I used too use mag primers in my 6.5 PRC , but Steve from Hammer bullets recommended trying the standard primers for max vel and it worked it allowed me too move up in my powder charge , getting a more efficient burn down the barrel.

Update: Berger fixed their 6.5PRC 156/153.5 data.

jys2ZzMh.jpg

They are scraping the 300PRC data next, then 300WM. Basically going through and fixing all of this.

Glad to see it!

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

WOW! that's a hell of an update, my load with H1000 is over by a lot now. This project has consumed more time and money chasing a good load than any other. I should have just rebarreled one of my .30-06s for 6.5-06

WOW! that's a hell of an update, my load with H1000 is over by a lot now. This project has consumed more time and money chasing a good load than any other. I should have just rebarreled one of my .30-06s for 6.5-06
That sucks man. The prc has been super easy for me and I followed hornady data for a starting point. I've tuned loads for 4 now and all shoot lights out without any issues. Bummer man bummer

That sucks man. The prc has been super easy for me and I followed hornady data for a starting point. I've tuned loads for 4 now and all shoot lights out without any issues. Bummer man bummer
Yeah, I have switched to 143 eldx, about to test again at 200 yards. My 156 load with H1000 was worked up using their original data and I hit pressure at 60.0 backed it off to 59.5 and it shot 2936 fps and 1/2 MOA but now I am leaning towards pulling them and selling the other boxes of heads off or waiting for that 6.5-06 project.

Yeah, I have switched to 143 eldx, about to test again at 200 yards. My 156 load with H1000 was worked up using their original data and I hit pressure at 60.0 backed it off to 59.5 and it shot 2936 fps and 1/2 MOA but now I am leaning towards pulling them and selling the other boxes of heads off or waiting for that 6.5-06 project.
Speed doesn't seem bad. What barrel length? I run 156 in a 22" at 2915 with rl26. On another note i found the 6.5-284 and 06 to be similar in fps and the prc is 100-150 faster. In particular the prc excels in a short barrel. 6.5-06 is a pretty solid cartridge.

Bad data and bad testing does NOT mean anything is wrong with the 6.5PRC.

Speed doesn't seem bad. What barrel length? I run 156 in a 22" at 2915 with rl26. On another note i found the 6.5-284 and 06 to be similar in fps and the prc is 100-150 faster. In particular the prc excels in a short barrel. 6.5-06 is a pretty solid cartridge.
24 inch

Bad data and bad testing does NOT mean anything is wrong with the 6.5PRC.
I was just saying its been a frustrating rifle for me, as far as cost and time of working up a load. Buying in the middle of COVID didn't help with having no brass, and only way I could get it was buy factory Hornady ammo and fired about 60 rounds just to have brass to load, then the 143 ELDX couldn't be found. Got excited when I saw 50 rnds of new Hornady brass and the 156 berger was on the self as well. Your right don't mean it is a bad carriage just a PITA for me.

I was just saying its been a frustrating rifle for me, as far as cost and time of working up a load. Buying in the middle of COVID didn't help with having no brass, and only way I could get it was buy factory Hornady ammo and fired about 60 rounds just to have brass to load, then the 143 ELDX couldn't be found. Got excited when I saw 50 rnds of new Hornady brass and the 156 berger was on the self as well. Your right don't mean it is a bad carriage just a PITA for me.
I have 7 different 6.5 cal rifles from 6.5 Swede too the 6.5 Prc , 2 of those . and used too have a 6.5-06 1-8 twist . Like yours it was a PITA never could get a load that would duplicate itself , but man it sure educated me , rebarreled it too 6.5-284 , it shoots light out . Then along came the 6.5 PRC easiest cartridge I ever loaded for , and also shoots factory ammo under.075 . I think it is one of the most efficient cartridges of a factory round , I shoot neck and neck with my friends recent 264 win mag he just built . I may be pushing it a little harder but it will hold its own with 10 grs less powder that translates into longer barrel life . The 143 gr eldx would be my choice in a cup and core , maybe accubonds too haven't tried those , but one thing for sure accuracy wise I can't beat the Hammer 124, 123, 109 and the 131 gr bullets with V N165 and VN560 . I really think the 6.5 PRC is a great cartridge.

Components make it a pia. I was on the front end and got all I needed without issue, prior to Covid crap. Sorry man, I feel your pain

Recent Posts