Need a recipe for 6.5 PRC

I tried a bunch of powders. Ended up with 57.6 grains of H1000. The load that worked best on the 156 bergers was 55.0 grains of Retumbo.

I still end up with a little stiffness on the bolt lift once in a while with the 57.6 grains of H1000. But it groups well. Been shooting it out to over 800 yards lately and the groups seem to hold well.
👍🏻

Be careful with berger data. They don't live fire it, according to their tech I was in communication with... its quickload. Their 156 and 153.5 data set was wildly out of whack before I called them. Lots of guys were running WAY hot based on their recommendations. I'm sad to see they STILL have not fixed it.

You follow those numbers and you're liable to damage your rifle. I've given them MONTHS to correct this, and they still want to roll with that insane data set apparently. Their 140's and all the rest of their bullets seem to be fine. The data they show for the heavies won't even work in a mid length setup with hornady brass. It would STILL be hot.

Here's my data on those bullets.

D68LQOQ.jpg

You can FORGET about getting 60 grains of H1000 in an ADG or Lapua case with a 150 class bullet. 58gr is basically all the way up the neck, and was WAY hot and super compressed. As you can see, 56grs is where it started to become a compressed load with H1000. Further to add, anyone running a 156 or 153.5 at 3000fps in a standard 6.5PRC is so unbelievably hot its not even funny. (unless they are running a 32" barrel)

I've done work ups in quite a few 6.5PRC's and none have ever been able to do it if you want more than 3 firings out of the brass. Keep in mind here, even a 26 nosler can only move them out at 3100'ish or a little more without demolishing the brass!

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I wish there was a way to bump this up to the top...I just spent an hour compiling data and averaging loads for a starter ladder test...

I am looking for a load for 6.5 PRC useing 143gr ELDX. And thanks
You will likely find better accuracy with H1000. I have used it a lot in my 6.5 PRC. The issue you will run into with 4350 is load density. It will be poor since you'll only be able use 52-54gr of powder before you pressure out. You will likely find an accurate load in the 58.5-59.5gr range with H1000. Start at the min and work up to find your rifle's pressure out point. With H1000 59.3gr was very accurate in my rifle with the 143.

Since this thread is still active, I thought some visual aids would be nice for some of you.

Here's a 10x fired ADG brass, with 60gr of H1000 in it. The brass was NOT resized, so it's as big inside as it gets. The powder is up in the neck.

yRJZsAMh.jpg

Now here is what it looks like if you seat a 156EOL to 2.950" for use in a short action. You can see the bearing surface of that bullet is way beneath the neck shoulder junction and nearly to the BODY shoulder junction... and the boat tail goes down in the body even further.

Gl53vULh.jpg

This is not some mild compression folks. This is massively compressed, to the point that ogive damage will happen to the bullet just to get it in there even with the most manicured seating stem... and the bullet will creep out over time probably 20 thousandths or more. As I said above, this case has as much internal volume as possible, since it came straight out of the chamber and not through a sizing die... so in actual use, this load would be even worse than is depicted here.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I just finished load development for a tikka t3x.
H4831 SC @ 59.2 grains
fed 210M
3x fired hornady brass
berger 156
CBTO 2.983 (-.027).

it can shoot better than the nut holding the trigger most days. But I can usually get .5 MOA at 100 to 300 yards. Haven't stepped it out further yet.

I just finished load development for a tikka t3x.
H4831 SC @ 59.2 grains
fed 210M
3x fired hornady brass
berger 156
CBTO 2.983 (-.027).

it can shoot better than the nut holding the trigger most days. But I can usually get .5 MOA at 100 to 300 yards. Haven't stepped it out further yet.
velocity?

Recent Posts