Need a new rifle -- Recommendations!

My bro in laws family have purchased several howas recently - I think theirs come in some sort of combo with a scope. They all seem really happy with them though.
I have purchased 8 Howas in the past 10 months for myself and friends. They really are exceptional for the price. 3 I have kept for myself. They do have some nice package deals also.

Lol fair enough. I just get tired of reading through all the non relevant info that gets posted.

Thats what makes this site interesting. Also, I don't know how many times I thought I knew what i wanted when somebody threw out something like a 280AI when I thought for sure I wanted a 7mm rm and ended up going with a 280AI instead. A little back and forth never hurt anybody.

Top 6.5 Creedmoor.
Bottom 6.5 x 284.
IMG_0996.jpg
IMG_0292.jpg

FWIW If you are wanting a rifle for hunting out to 500 and steel at 1000 I still believe that the Bergara HMR would be a solid choice. You can't go wrong with just about any rifle mentioned already, however I do feel for the money that it's giving you basically 2 rifles. Not to heavy to hunt with and heavy enough to hammer steel. For me the hard part would be what round are you going to get for your rifle?

I am not really sure why you're quoting me, do you have any question for me?

My bad I was trying to just reply to one post and after I send my post I realized that it had a few peoples quotes.

I like 26" barrels over 24" but if I'm hunting thick stuff I prefer a shorter rifle. Most shots aren't going to need the extra 100 fps. Out to 600 yards it'll do just fine.

I think that in 7mm magnum the extra 2" of barrel length would be a good idea. If one finds the longer barrel to be clumsy to hunt with, it's no big trick to cut a couple of inches off and re-crown. You can always cut it off, but you can't add 2" to a barrel.

I actually had that done years ago with a 30-06 Ackley. I lost exactly 100 fps doing it, and didn't miss it at all. It still does 2900 with 180-grain bullets, which is more than enough. ( I wasn't shooting long distance, either - four to five hundred yards was about max for me.) I would expect about the same velocity loss in shortening a 7 mag barrel by the same amount. Also, I remember that the gun felt a lot better to shoot offhand when the barrel was still 26" long, for whatever that's worth. In a hunting rifle, maybe a lot. Sometimes that's all you get for a shot opportunity.

The how a and vanguard are very similar but the bolts won't interchange. It's a very nice action for the money. One piece bolt you will never break. And large m16 style extractor and integral lug with huge flat bottom. Only gripe is metric thread. They should just make it a 16 pitch and be done.
Shep

Yep have to say your best luck is with a savage for your budget. I always recommend them to my friends that want to start out. Heck many of the axis they buy shoot amazing once they find the right ammo. Many times factory ammo does very well after you find which kind it likes.
I wouldn't be afraid of the axis if they offer it in 7mm. You could restock with a Boyd's and put a great trigger in it for you budget.

I think if you want a 24" barrel you should shoot a 280AI. The 7mm Rem mag shines with a 26" tube.

As a note.....the savage axis xp 2 has an accutrigger. I bought 2 for the kids and now took one over formyself because its lite/handi/accurate. But i notice they actually chamber that sucker in .280ai ...
I wouldnt hesitate to buy another.

I got the kids last creedmoor axis2 at walmart for $299 the .280ai is being marketed hard so it will be easy to get ammo and components for.

Just a thought

I think that in 7mm magnum the extra 2" of barrel length would be a good idea. If one finds the longer barrel to be clumsy to hunt with, it's no big trick to cut a couple of inches off and re-crown. You can always cut it off, but you can't add 2" to a barrel.

I actually had that done years ago with a 30-06 Ackley. I lost exactly 100 fps doing it, and didn't miss it at all. It still does 2900 with 180-grain bullets, which is more than enough. ( I wasn't shooting long distance, either - four to five hundred yards was about max for me.) I would expect about the same velocity loss in shortening a 7 mag barrel by the same amount. Also, I remember that the gun felt a lot better to shoot offhand when the barrel was still 26" long, for whatever that's worth. In a hunting rifle, maybe a lot. Sometimes that's all you get for a shot opportunity.

True enough. And I also was forgetting the intended 1000 yard targets. 26" would help there for sure.

Yuppers. Lots of different ideas when asking a question,,, that's why I did my own research and seeing what """sometimes""" dosen't work in the kill fields... LOL

I call it weighting my options of wants and needs to end up with something practical. Its been Remington Country's up here in the far reaches of the North,,, lots of Winchesters,,, Weatherby's,,, Brownings,,, and the odd teka / sako's along with a few others...

I weigh my plinking needs up against the big game and predator control... Actually,,, most of the cartridges are able to pull this off,,, so the trick is to find 1 or more that fill those needs...

Find a rifle that suits the fancy along with optic and ammo and get at it...

Lifes to short to worry about getting it correct from the get go since a person """Normally""" changes things up 2 or more times in their life time,,, that's not saying that some folks don't get it right / right off the batt.

I'm back to old school of simple basics with things with in my budget. Hopefully I stay the course with the odd work overs on the plastic,,, wood ,,, and iron I own...

The left over funds go towards distance and being out there now days...

No time to waist finding the 2 to 10 ish % of a fraction better... The only time I look at those % numbers is when I bunker down to plug a critter or go after the the top secret V rig. Ha

Finding what works is golden.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.