Need a New Place to Shoot

scsims

I live on 17 acres and have houses to the left right and across the street. I've been shooting here at least once a week for over 10 years. And just recently I have been going to my neighbors to the right ( a 200 acre crop farm) and shooting out to 800 yards and I've always had permission to hunt and shoot on.

I just went over today, and was told that they would prefer I not shoot on their farm anymore. One of their neigbors doesn't like hunting or shooting and they want to keep the peace. I totally understand and felt bad as well, as if I have kind of over stayed my welcome to shoot there anymore. They felt bad as well and told me to go ahead and shoot one more time, but I told them thanks and I appreciated them letting me shoot/hunt there over the years and went back home.

With that said it got me thinking of how much I've been shooting on my own property, out to 200 yards, .22lr, trap. I bet I'm making a few neighbors aggravated as well.

I have a game club about 12 miles away that I can shoot out to 100 yards for about $30 a year. I guess I could shoot there some to reduce the amount that I'm shooting at home.

As for long range shooting the closest range in about 90 minutes away and it goes out to 1200 yards. To use the range you must have a membership which is $125 per year. I believe these may be my best options as I don't want to make my neighbors recent having me next door. Accasional shooting at home would be fine I think.

What do you all think, does this sound like a good compromise?

scsims,

First thing you do is pull up Google Earth and search for large row crop fields. Then go to that farmer and simple tell him what you would like to do. 99% of the farmers have never seen anyone shoot 800 yds +/! To them anything around the 300 yd mark is extremely long and they would not even attempt that. Generally this will peak their interest and you then offer them the opportunity to shoot your rifle and explain how long range game works. I now have a 1100 yd field in which to practice. This in turn led to a husband-wife team who were friends with this farmer that wanted to learn how to shoot in the 3 to 4 hundred yd range. The wife was by far the best shooter. They were so excited while we were shooting, that they called a friend who was manager of a 8,000 acre plantation. She set up a hunt for the following day and I spotted for her and coached her thru the shot. A cull doe at 342 yds. The plantation manager was impressed and invited me to hunt this up coming season. They have a field that's just over 1200 yds. And to top that, another plantation manager heard of this and he too has invited me for the fall season to see what I can do. The two plantation comprise some 45,000 acres and average 1,000 to 1300 deer taken each year. I far as I know, no one in the entire county shoots long range. This approached worked for me, so you have nothing to lose. Give it a try and good luck!

$125/yr, 90 minutes away, 1200 yd shooting club/range is a good deal.

If you're close enough for people to be concerned, then you're probably too close.

A suppressor might help. But, even people who are far enough away to be oblivious can still be at risk.

Liability is a growing problem and we need more places to shoot safely. Accidents and/or ****ing people off isn't going to help.

Be safe and have fun.

-- richard

I agree, I think my neigbor knew I was shooting far because I asked at first if I could because 200 yards wasn't enough at my house. But when we talked the other day and he found out that I was shooting from one end of the farm to the other, I think he was concerned. Although I'm shooting into a steep hillside he wasn't comfortable with it. He didn't say this I just think that what it was.

Checking the local area using google earth is a good idea. Second best idea? Go to the county assessor website and use their "mapsifter" function if they have one. Find a property, get owner details and stop by and say hello.

I came up with a better solution, I bought myself a 900 yd range with no neighbors for five miles in any direction. Enjoying my neighbors gently sloping hillside I can shoot 2000yds if I like.

No you can't come over and I won't tell you where it is.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.