Need a NEW Hand Primer (with tray) Suggestions Please !

bubbaonpc

Howdy Guys n Gals. I use a K&M single for my Rifles and I love it ! BUT... I am going to purchase a new one for those lazy days, kicked back in the recliner, when I prime my pistol brass by the hundreds. I have the LEE Bench Primer, which uses the same trays as their new Hand Primers, but I'd like to hear what y'all are using...Pros n Cons. I like my Bench Primer, but after 50-100 rounds, my ole back starts killing me...due to the angle I lean off my stool. What's your thoughts on what's out there ?

I bought a rcbs primer....works good....might also get a new set of shell holders so you dont have to keep grabbing the ones off the press....

I use the RCBS Hand Primer with the tray. I usually prime 50 or 100 cases at a time so the tray works well. My only problem with it is the small primer rod seems to not be flat on the end and dishs the primers just a tad. Seems to be cosmetic only, but I'm pretty anal about my reloading.
I wish I had a priming tool that I could adjust the depth of the seated primer, with repeatability.
As for your back hurting at the bench, I had the same problem. I solved it by using a kitchen chair instead of the stool

I like my rcbs universal hand primer all but the fact that the tray doesn't want to stay in place well. Might just be something not right with mine and not all of them.

Without any hesitation I would recommend the frankford arsenal hand primer. Own and have used an RCBS hand primer for years, was on a thread on this forum a month or so ago and saw a lot of good reviews on the frankford. Bought one, it comes in its own case with 12 shellholder's, is adjustable for primer seating depth, does both size primer's, feeds better out of the tray and has better feel when you are seating. Tray isn't loose like RCBS either, RCBS is back-up now and the frankford is full duty. Love the seating depth adj. and no flat topped primers either. Try one you will love it! Dave

Without any hesitation I would recommend the frankford arsenal hand primer. Own and have used an RCBS hand primer for years, was on a thread on this forum a month or so ago and saw a lot of good reviews on the frankford. Bought one, it comes in its own case with 12 shellholder's, is adjustable for primer seating depth, does both size primer's, feeds better out of the tray and has better feel when you are seating. Tray isn't loose like RCBS either, RCBS is back-up now and the frankford is full duty. Love the seating depth adj. and no flat topped primers either. Try one you will love it! Dave

+1 on the frankford. đź‘Ť

Thanks to everyone for their time. The Frankfort does have all the aspects covered. They put some thought into the build and the reviews are awesome. RCBS Universal "shell holder" is a plus and good reviews...and I've always had excellent service from LEE products..( 10 years with old LEE hand primer)...Leaning towards Frankfort..... Thanks again !

Love my Frankford Arsenal.....mine is the earlier design where the slide to change the shell holder and to change from small to large rifle is all on the same side....it can be difficult but I don't change it much and I like it too much to care, but from the pictures of the new ones they have changed the design of it a bit.

I also took it apart and sanded the parts that slide, rub and rotate and put some grease or some sort of lube on those parts, silky smooth!

Note: I'd say the lee shell holders will work with the Frankford Arsenal primer seater and you can use the shell holders from the Frankford Arsenal unit in case holders that use lee shell holders.

I bought two RCBS universal hand primers years ago. One for small and one for large primers. I usually don't remove the trays so they have not loosed up yet. I've only used them on about 5000 to 8000 rounds each so far.

I'm surprised the Lyman tool hasn't been mentioned. After many years using an RCBS (made from pot metal, that's how old it is) and fussing with the crappy "fit-together" of the parts, I bought the Lyman and never looked back. Smooth operating, comes with two trays, one each for large and small, excellent fit and finish. My only nitpick is it sometimes marks the primers as mentioned above. Uses RCBS-type shellholders.

Frankford Arsenal 100%. I had the Lee primers, one for large, one for small. One died, used the one left for years...then it stopped seating deep enough. Was worried if the Frankford Arsenal was worth the $$$ , and it is. I can actually seat the primers to the depth I want consistently. I don't think I'll need to replace it before my shooting time is done...rsbhunter

I have used the LEE for years and have been through a couple of them. The die cast aluminum thumb lever had been the weak link for me. Had a friend mill one out and it has lasted almost 20 years but just last week the cast aluminum body chipped and broke, so now primers are not getting seated as deep as I like.
HP w-stand.jpgbroke body.jpgbroke body2.jpgmilled lever.jpgmilled lever w-OEM part.jpg

The first pic is of the little stand I made for the Lee. It's a industrial thread spool. Next two pics are of the broken piece of the aluminum body and the last two pics are of the milled part I had a friend make.

This post was right on time and I have decided to get the Frankford Arsenal model. With the all metal construction it may last the rest of my life (you ever wonder if your children will know what to do with your stuff?).

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.