Need a new first aid kit.

newtype military tourniquet,Israeil major wound with blood stop bandages,blood stop powder, blood stop gauze for wound backing, band aids. carry one when hunting and a bigger kit in car for 3 person and one in the 4 wheeler at home a major med trauma kit but then we live and hunt and play in Alaska and when doing extended 20 + day hunts back in a much larger med kit and K/9 med kit also,home med kits
Why is it that lots of folks seem to forget or put the dogs needs as an afterthought? Hhhmmmm.....

Nothing outside of mountain medicine and very basic first aid. Meds, ointment, gauze, and maybe a few other things like a skin stapler. Not king LTs or other airway stuff, not a surgical kit, not a bag valve, no decompression needles, no granulated quickclot or **** like that.

You said you don't go out much, and it's not a war zone. You don't need a actual IFAK. I mean that as in, you won't use it. It's extra weight and bulk. Chances are most of the people here who are about to "just in case" me probably don't have a fire extinguisher in their car…just in case.

To supplement my position, you're not going to put a chest seal on yourself. You're not going to pack yourself with impregnated gauze. If knowledgeable in things like a SOF-TW, then you probably already know how to turn a belt into a tourniquet.
Most people are carrying a trauma kit guised as a IFAK, to feed a hero complex, in case someone else needs it.

If my statement is true, then you have a responsibility to learn how to use the **** you plan on carrying around. That said, if you want the military doctrine of it, then the IFAK is actually so others can treat you. That's even worst, because now someone else needs to have the responsibility to know how to use your gear in question.

Frankly, I don't trust a single one of you to treat something like a gsw to the chest. I don't think people here know what to look out for, after using a seal for a sucking chest wound, and surely I don't trust anyone here to do a chest tube in the field let alone a needle thoracentesis.

Call 911.
Use a inreach. If you're far in the backcountry, this will probably be your own way out anyways, especially if immobile. There are risk we take in life.
Hard core, but I get your meaning. Vents, sucking wounds, and even clot powders usually require special training that in most states, requires certification and license. That said, I do know how to implement those and would do so regardless of the law to save a life. That's on me.

Only hours away when minutes matter 🤣

I hope you feel better getting that little tantrum off your chest, you need to chill out a little. Some of us aren't as stupid as you're projecting that we are.

One real world case happened at a range I used to shoot at south of Dallas a little over ten years ago now, and was my impetus for obtaining a real trauma kit and seeking out training. An instructor shot his assistant at a private "high speed cool guy wannabe" class. A member of the class happened to be former medic and current doctor and was able to stabilize until the helo could get there They were about an hour away from any hospital by vehicle at the time, much less waiting on an ambulance to get there in the first place. Having even one IFAK on hand, either in a range bag or from the range itself, in that case makes all the difference. I don't try to do cool-guy stuff, but the ranges I shoot at are either 1) public, 2) have steel, or 3) have multiple bays where people are left unsupervised. There's absolutely no reason to NOT do minimum preparations for a very possible eventuality when there are a lot of people and guns in the same place.

My range bag IFAK has all the GSW stuff, but my backcounty kit has very few of those things.

Work with what you have. When I broke my elbow all up the guy driving me the ~1.5 hours to hospital had his GFs bottle of Midol in the truck.... it's basically just Tylenol and caffeine 🤣
I wasn't unchill and that isn't a tantrum. That's a truth. Seems to have hit a nerve.

Yes. People are stupid. That's why I don't go to public ranges. It's the assumption I go into everything with these days.

You are literally talking about a medic/doctor doing work. I'm not worried about them. A real combat medic can go far with just duct tape, 550 cord, a pen and a straw. Dirt medicine. It wasn't the kit, it was the medics knowledge and experience.

Real high speed courses add medical and evac into the planning. That usually means having someone there that fills the role and has a med bag. Because people are stupid.
Now, go to the backcountry and carry all that ****.
Be realistic. Because you might fall. It might get shot. You need one in your vehicle because you might get into an accident. And at work.

Secondly, it sounds like you did nothing.
That's my point. You'll buy all this stuff you don't need, or know how to use, but you don't even have a fire extinguisher in your vehicle. A situation that is more likely to happen. You hoping the doc will be there to take over?

I wasn't unchill and that isn't a tantrum. That's a truth. Seems to have hit a nerve.

Yes. People are stupid. That's why I don't go to public ranges. It's the assumption I go into everything with these days.

You are literally talking about a medic/doctor doing work. I'm not worried about them. A real combat medic can go far with just duct tape, 550 cord, a pen and a straw. Dirt medicine. It wasn't the kit, it was the medics knowledge and experience.

Real high speed courses add medical and evac into the planning. That usually means having someone there that fills the role and has a med bag. Because people are stupid.
Now, go to the backcountry and carry all that ****.
Be realistic. Because you might fall. It might get shot. You need one in your vehicle because you might get into an accident. And at work.

Secondly, it sounds like you did nothing.
That's my point. You'll buy all this stuff you don't need, or know how to use, but you don't even have a fire extinguisher in your vehicle. A situation that is more likely to happen. You hoping the doc will be there to take over?
I agree that most people are not as adept at first aid as they profess. In well over half of all serious cases, the spectators are the ones that administer the aid. Most of those don't have the gear or the knowhow to use them. But there are a few that do.

That said, I would rather have the trauma/fak kit with me and take the chance that I, or God willing, somebody else would step up and try to save me. Training considered, I would hope they did have training, but would gladly welcome help even if they didn't. YES, some help actually hinders a successful save. But again, something is better than nothing. I for one could not, in good conscience, stand by and do nothing.

My purpose for this thread was to seek input for updating my FAK. I should have said FAK/Trauma kit. We should require both for hunting and shooting. After all, we are our own last line of defense. But there are special requirements for using gear above and beyond boo boo kit. Clot powder (some), vents, chest seals, tourniquets and other special gear mandates advanced training and in most states, licensing. If we feel that these advanced training issues need to be treated or addressed by us, then it is incumbent to get the proper training.

If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right. I have and I did.

I agree that most people are not as adept at first aid as they profess. In well over half of all serious cases, the spectators are the ones that administer the aid. Most of those don't have the gear or the knowhow to use them. But there are a few that do.

That said, I would rather have the trauma/fak kit with me and take the chance that I, or God willing, somebody else would step up and try to save me. Training considered, I would hope they did have training, but would gladly welcome help even if they didn't. YES, some help actually hinders a successful save. But again, something is better than nothing. I for one could not, in good conscience, stand by and do nothing.

My purpose for this thread was to seek input for updating my FAK. I should have said FAK/Trauma kit. We should require both for hunting and shooting. After all, we are our own last line of defense. But there are special requirements for using gear above and beyond boo boo kit. Clot powder (some), vents, chest seals, tourniquets and other special gear mandates advanced training and in most states, licensing. If we feel that these advanced training issues need to be treated or addressed by us, then it is incumbent to get the proper training.

If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right. I have and I did.
Is it called a hero complex or do you know what you're doing?
Often it does get in the way.
I know what you meant, that's why I mentioned what I mentioned what I did for my examples.

I wouldn't wrap "we" into this. I'm good. From 18d short to the pig labs, to LA trauma, to my friends wounded in combat, I know what I'm doing.
This ain't about me.

Something is not better than nothing. Either have the knowledge to do the job or stay out of the way. Being the first to the casualty the saying "now what?" is not a solution. You want to play combat medic, join the military.

You want to actually prepare for the "just in case" go get your EMT-P card. Even if that card was expired, I'd trust that dude over some guy with a bunch of random surplus ifak gear. The gear is very secondary.
It's in the name, first aid. The aid is to get to person to a medical professional. What if someone gets ran over by a tractor or something and a leg is pulled out of the hip socket and amputated completely, and you're the bystander.
What are you going to do? With your ifak.

Is it called a hero complex or do you know what you're doing?
Often it does get in the way.
I know what you meant, that's why I mentioned what I mentioned what I did for my examples.

I wouldn't wrap "we" into this. I'm good. From 18d short to the pig labs, to LA trauma, to my friends wounded in combat, I know what I'm doing.
This ain't about me.

Something is not better than nothing. Either have the knowledge to do the job or stay out of the way. Being the first to the casualty the saying "now what?" is not a solution. You want to play combat medic, join the military.

You want to actually prepare for the "just in case" go get your EMT-P card. Even if that card was expired, I'd trust that dude over some guy with a bunch of random surplus ifak gear. The gear is very secondary.
It's in the name, first aid. The aid is to get to person to a medical professional. What if someone gets ran over by a tractor or something and a leg is pulled out of the hip socket and amputated completely, and you're the bystander.
What are you going to do? With your ifak.

Me need me sum rope fer when Uncle Eddie get's his leg caurht in the threshur again. Ima making ah turnicut out of my cowboy rope from when I was chasin muh cows. Maw got hit by the tractur agun and we left hur there cuz we don't know how ter lift it up. Been thar on 3 days now, still squallering.

🤣

Let me take this one at a time:
Hero complex, I'm not. But some are. Often to the detriment of others. "We" is an inclusive statement for us humans. All of us that participate in any activity that hazards us. When I was 9, I saw 30 people watch two people die from minor injuries. The medics said that both could have been easily saved if someone had stepped up with the most basic of first aid. They died from what is the most often ignored issue: shock. Every person there had coats and cold gear. They could have helped. In this case, something was better than nothing. I do have my Advanced First Aid and EMT cert. For me, it's an imperative. I highly suggest others get trained, its worth it. The best emergency training I ever got was that which I never had to use. I spent 22 years on active duty and learned about care for my brothers and sisters. We had to. We wanted to. Some of that knowledge haunts me to this day. But I will never forget. Most people that succumb to massive trauma can't help themselves. "We" can only hope that someone is around to call 911 and implement what they can until EMT gets there. If they can.

I do have my Advanced First Aid and EMT cert. For me, it's an imperative. I highly suggest others get trained, its worth it.
Then to answer the OP, take what you know how to use. That's it.
Sounds like one of the best idea's on this thread was the Stop The Bleed Course! That being said, My kid returned from Crapganistan, and let me know that the clot gauze was better than the powder. The reason is because if the wind is blowing there is a chance the powder will end up in your eyes!
It's was more than that. There were granules getting into the blood stream.
Second problem was it heats up. That how it works and it would get so hot, one person often couldn't hold pressure on it for the whole time.

Then to answer the OP, take what you know how to use. That's it.

It's was more than that. There were granules getting into the blood stream.
Second problem was it heats up. That how it works and it would get so hot, one person often couldn't hold pressure on it for the whole time.
Excessive heat and ingredient migration- Is the reason some of the clot applicays imbed the powders in gauze. Clot powders do have warnings on use. Know them, or use at your own detriment.

All said, all of us should take away cautions and warnings on FAK and Trauma kit application. Get the required training or stick to boo boo kits. Or suffer the possible unintended outcome.

Excessive heat and ingredient migration- Is the reason some of the clot applicays imbed the powders in gauze. Clot powders do have warnings on use. Know them, or use at your own detriment.
He's referring to military. I don't claim to know all the brands but there's really two used in military use. The old granulated stuff you poured into the wound cavity directly.

The current stuff is impregnated gauze with a clotting agent. That ingredient is Kaolin.

Celox, used in civilian applications have granules in the gauze. Amongst other things. It's not the same thing.

Thermal injuries related to granular quikclot.

FYI, the latest tourniquet has a feature that allows it to be clip/unclip for application for leg application. Trying to put a shot up leg through a loop like a standard CAT tourn is gonna be a bear if not impossible.
You know it's kinda funny (not) that you mention that. When I first handled a tq, we were told to use it on ourselves for practice. What a feasko. Glad I practiced alot!