need a new 22-250

John Baer

I'm looking for a 22-250 that will shoot a nosler 60gr partition at 1moa. Dose anyone know any custom gunsmiths that sell NIB very accurate rifles? any inf appreciated. John

Ummm... most factory heavy barrel varmint rifles will shoot 1 MOA w/ about anything btwn 40-60gr. Many will shoot much smaller groups w/ a small amount of tuning of trigger, loads, and shooter.

Monte

I wouldn't worry about the MOA requirement, most will easily do that. I am more concerned what spin rate you would need for a 60 grain bullet. I shoot 55 grain Winchester Balistic tips in my Rem with no problem but I don't know if the 1 in 12" twist would be fast enough for the heavier/longer bullets. I khow that the 223 goes to 1 in 8" to shoot the 68-80 grain bullets but they don't have the velocity the 22-250 has either. Sorry I can't help more.

Thanks for the replys. I have shot a 52gr hollow point and 55 gr with excelent results. I needed to go to the 60 grain partition as I needed a tough bullet for my daughter to hunt with. I have tried Imr 4895, Varget and RL-15 and cant get under 4" at 100yd. With the 52 and 55 grain I've chased animals for hours not wanting a hit animal to get away. I guess what I need to know is the twist, barrell length req. to stabilize the bullet. Thanks and any other info appreciated. John

If you have a 300WM or WSM you might try some sabboted loads. My brother has been shooting some 52gr V-Max loads in his WSM at over 4800fps around an inch at 100 yards lately. Don't quote me but I think he said 80 some grains of W748 is what he was using and they almost went 4900 fps at the top.

Just a thought.
smile.gif

I borrowed a friends tikka 22-250 and my ruger m77 22-250. I almost put bullets in the same hole at 100yds using a 55 gr bullet. The 60 grain bullet had a moa 2-4 inches at 100yd regardless of powder. I'm not sure what the tikka twist rate is but I think the rugger is 1/14.

Are there any Manufacters that make a reasonable wt 22-250 with a twist rate 1/8-1/10 out of the box??? thanks for the info
John

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.