Need a mountain Goat Load

Blueman

Hello,

I'm going on a mountain goat hunt this fall and need a good load that will plant a billy right where he's standing. I've got a tikka t3 in 300 wm to do the trick. I reload and am looking for a bullet with good BC but also has controlled expansion. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hello,

I'm going on a mountain goat hunt this fall and need a good load that will plant a billy right where he's standing. I've got a tikka t3 in 300 wm to do the trick. I reload and am looking for a bullet with good BC but also has controlled expansion. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

How far do you expect to shoot?

Steve

Hopefully 100 yds, but if I can only get within 6-700yds from an 11" billy I'd like to be able to plant him right there.

Lots of people love the 215berger in 300wm. For controlled expansion 180-200 accubond or maybe the 210 accubond long range if you can find it.
I don't think a 180 grain Scirocco would be bad either.

Congrats on hunting Billy Goat.

Keep in mind I have a tikka t3, which mean i have a 1:11 twist rate so I'm guessing 180's are about as big as I can go.

My friends daughter shot her goat with my Lazzeroni Warbird pushing a 180grain scirocco close to 3600fps. Yeah, I know...

The shot was right at 400 yards and it impacted about 8 inches behind the front shoulder. That goat still managed to walk off with an extremely large hole in the side of it. I was stupefied. She did harvest that goat, but it didn't drop in it's tracks. I think those things are just amazingly tough critters capable of taking an enormous amount of energy. I am not a big fan of the high shoulder hit, but might be something to consider on a mtn goat...

I took the largest Muley of my life with a 300 wsm. The shot was 100 yards. It was a 200+ pound, 170 inch deer that dropped in his tracks. I used the Barnes 168 ttsx. Wonderful expansion qualities, shoots flat and true. I just loaded that same load for a friends dad. He was shooting the Noslers and said after watching the performance of the Barnes on his big Muley this year, he will never go back.

Your on for a awesome hunt. I'm super jealious...

IMO the bc really does not become relevant until after 500 yards. DRT only happens if you engage the central nervous system. Most any lung shot animal will travel a little bit. Specially if he knows you are there. If unaware often they will not move.

Given your yardage specs I think you should look at a 180 class dedicated hunting bullet. Don't get too caught up in the bc hype.

Steve

I shot mine with a 200 grain Accubond @ 25 yards LOL! Anything can happen on the mountain, .300 H&H took a shoulder quartering and face planted.

Good Luck, where are you going?

Look at the data for the Berger 185 classic hunter it looks real good to 6-700 in the 300WM. I have not shot them from my 300WM as yet but everything I have read points to them being easier to develop loads for.

The VLD's really put em down when you shoot them in the boiler room. I have tried them in my 270win, 6.5x284 and 257wby and if you do it right they're just plain emphatic.

I like the NAB as well but everything I have harvested with them almost always travels after the shot.

In either case good luck and shoot straight especially at those handsome BC Billy goats. Make sure you post some pic's.

Bob

We ride into camp on October 1st and I cannot wait. I have a lot of prep to do before I'm ready though. I have read a few places that some of the barnes bullets don't spabilize out of a tikka. Could be just hype, I'm thinking about trying 175 gn LRX or 180 gn TTSX anyway.

I love berger bullets in my other guns but I've read a lot of people didn't like bergers for mountain goats. Has anyone on here killed several goats before?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts