Need a more efficient brake.

midgetorama32

On my 338 Edge I currently have a Gentry Quiet brake. It seems to tame recoil well but I am looking for something that will be even more efficient. My barrel contour isn't that heavy so the gun is pretty lively and following my shots are impossible.

What are some good options? I'd love to try the Painkiller by Allen Precision but I think they are priced out of my budget.

Thanks.

Last edited:
APS painkiller's are impressive at reducing recoil. They make a light weight 270AM (270-7mm RUM improved) feel like a 243. You'd have to feel it to believe it. They are worth the extra money.

As mentioned the PK's are great, as is Holland's Radial.
Other good brakes out there as well by smiths here on the site too, such as Jim See.
I don't have one of his Muscle Brakes but they have good reports as well as does Shawn Carlock's DE brakes

I had several different brakes on some different 300 rum and the holland definetly tamed recoil the best. I could spot all shots beyond 500 yrds. I am getting a 338 rum built now and am trying the muscle brake heard good things about it. Good luck.

On my 338 Edge I currently have a Gentry Quiet brake. It seems to tame recoil well but I am looking for something that will be even more efficient. My barrel contour isn't that heavy so the gun is pretty lively and following my shots are impossible.

What are some good options? I'd love to try the Painkiller by Allen Precision but I think they are priced out of my budget.

Thanks.

I won't get into brands because they are mostly a personal choice so I will recomend a type of
brake.

The quite brakes are quieter because of there design and normally have no baffles just vent
holes that are 90 degrees or less to the bore.

The baffled brakes are more effective than the non baffled brakes but they are louder.

The quick discharge type brakes have large ports with baffles and sometimes ports in the
top to help control muzzle rise and are the MOST effective at reducing recoil but also the
loudest and the worst on bystanders.

For the medium size cartriges like the 7mag and 3006 I normally recomend the Vias for
reasonable recoil reduction and noise.

But for the hard kicking rifles I will recomend the large port baffle type like the Holland,
painkiller,Muscle brake or the DE brake for maximum recoil reduction and let the shooter
decide which one he likes the looks of.

I personally don't like brakes on anything I shoot because of the noise and having to
wear some kind of ear protection while hunting. the only rifle I have that has to have a
brake is the 50 BMG because my tolerance to recoil stops around 85 to 90 ft/lbs and the
big 50 is more than twice than that with out a brake.

J E CUSTOM

+1 on JE's comments.

Also keep in mind that a radial brake thows up a lot of dirt, dust & debris when shooting prone in the forest/desert. I learned that one the hard way and ended up changing out my Vais for a DE.

Plus 1 on the Holland Radial. IMO I have seen nothing beating it for effectiveness and absolutey nothing for cost. Costs $110 and then only installation, which should be under $100 with just about any smith.

I have it on my 338 Ack Imp and the 338-408.

Was shooting the 338 AI (14 lb) in MO this week at 750 with a couple guys who never fired anything that big and they could not believe the rifle just sat there when fired.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.