Need a local smith for truing actions

deweyduck

Just read a great thread about truing and all that it takes to do a complete first class job. So can anyone recommend a smith in Atlanta Ga that can do my 7 MM RM?

If you can't find someone local have Long Rifles Inc do the work. They will turn it around quickly and they do good work.

Be advised that if you have the action trued and the threads recut, you may not be able to use your existing barrel anymore. A new barrel and chamber may be needed for that action. At a minimum, if the receiver ring, lugs or abutments are trued, the headspace will have been changed. If the threads are recut, the existing barrel threads will be too small in diameter to fit the trued action. Your best bet is to combine a rebarrel with the action work.

Bob

Be advised that if you have the action trued and the threads recut, you may not be able to use your existing barrel anymore. A new barrel and chamber may be needed for that action. At a minimum, if the receiver ring, lugs or abutments are trued, the headspace will have been changed. If the threads are recut, the existing barrel threads will be too small in diameter to fit the trued action. Your best bet is to combine a rebarrel with the action work.

Bob
Thank you Bob for pointing out the hidden impact. As usual, no good deed goes unpunished. A little change has unintended consequences; a huge impact that must be dealt with.

Thank you Bob for pointing out the hidden impact. As usual, no good deed goes unpunished. A little change has unintended consequences; a huge impact that must be dealt with.

No worries. Just wanted to make you aware. The action will be forever altered, in a positive way, such that the current barrel or pre-fits would be a challenge to use. I think it's worth the time and expense to start with a true and straight action.

Bob

It's about a 2 hour drive but I'd take it to Robert Gradous. He's done 3 Remingtons over years for me and nothing custom I own shoots any better.
I thought Robert Gradous sent his Remington actions to Greg Tannel for truing.

I thought Robert Gradous sent his Remington actions to Greg Tannel for truing.
Maybe he does now it's been a few years since I had one done. I know he's also sent them in the past to Mathew Stewart of Stewart Rifles as well after he left Surgeon.

Bob I have a follow up if you don't mind helping me out. If the reciever ring, lugs, and abuttments are trued the headspace will change. Can you not just set the shoulder back to put it back to specs? I got the thread changes for sure just wondering about the rest.

Bob I have a follow up if you don't mind helping me out. If the reciever ring, lugs, and abuttments are trued the headspace will change. Can you not just set the shoulder back to put it back to specs? I got the thread changes for sure just wondering about the rest.

Yes, if the threads are not recut you can use the same barrel. It may not be just a shoulder set back. The barrel tennon dimensions may change. If it takes more off the receiver ring than the abutments to true it, then the tennon would need to be shorter than before. Then the chamber would need to be deepened. Back in the day, when I used to gunsmith, I wouldn't take a whisker cut on a chamber that someone else cut. Too easy to cause problems. That's just me. Others might have a better method of doing that.

It can usually be done. Personally, I just decide a new chamber, in a new barrel, goes hand in hand with action blueprinting. I'd love to hear what JE's thoughts are on this.

Bob

Just read a great thread about truing and all that it takes to do a complete first class job. So can anyone recommend a smith in Atlanta Ga that can do my 7 MM RM?

What is the make and model of the rifle that you would like to have the work done on? Depending on the manufacturer you may not have the option of selecting someone, and may have to go to someone who is willing to work on your rifle and who is set up to do the work. I like Ruger 77s, it took me quite a few calls before I found a gunsmith who was willing to do the work and who liked working on them. If your rifle is a Remington 700 there's not going to be any difficutly finding a gunsmith at all. Also curious about the reason for the gunsmith being local? If you have to ship the rifle, put the rifle in the mail/UPS I'd prefer to send it to gunsmith who I know is dependable and reasonable in price.

What is the make and model of the rifle that you would like to have the work done on? Depending on the manufacturer you may not have the option of selecting someone, and may have to go to someone who is willing to work on your rifle and who is set up to do the work. I like Ruger 77s, it took me quite a few calls before I found a gunsmith who was willing to do the work and who liked working on them. If your rifle is a Remington 700 there's not going to be any difficutly finding a gunsmith at all. Also curious about the reason for the gunsmith being local? If you have to ship the rifle, put the rifle in the mail/UPS I'd prefer to send it to gunsmith who I know is dependable and reasonable in price.
It's an off the rack Win 70 in 7MM RM. It's not worth spending much money on but it shoots a lot of .75 MOA groups. After working up some Berger loads, it shot a .625 group at 200 yards. Then the very first shot ever in my life at 400 yards, it hit a 1" bullseye using a 9" holdover plus 4" wind drift. Talk about excitement! I had made a holdover cheat sheet taped to my stock which is spot on. The reason I'm considering truing it is the frequent flyers. I've had it about 25 years but the round count is probably under 1000. It would be a great piece to pass on to my kids; I'm 82. Hopefully not before next Saturday. Hehe BTW, the deer in my avatar was a 390 yd shot after the above work; 1 shot, cheat sheet hold on the top hairline, right through the heart, DRT.

Last edited:
If you are serious about truing your action and may need a new barrel or maybe want a new barrel, check out Hart Barrels, they have a Gunsmith shop and can do it all. It may be more money than you want to spend, but if it is shooting as good as you mentioned, may want to leave it alone.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.