Need a little help on how to range at night--

rvander1

I am trying to get a big bobcat on my farm in ny. My neighbor caught it on camera (attached). I know, it looks like a mountain lion--but we don't have any of those where I am and our DEC has looked at the pic. It is probably a 40+ pound bobcat--eating our deer.
I have a really good custom long range gun with a NF scope and a PVS-27, so I can reach out during the night to 500 yards-- but my problem is figuring out the critters range beyond 200 yds. I'm shooting into a 55 acre field with shots maybe to 350 yards possible for a big bobcat-type critter, but ballistics show the drop is a lot after about 200 yards. I have a Leica 1600 for daytime ranging and I love it.
But how do you guys range at night?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Bob

Attachments

• IMG_2637.jpeg
    IMG_2637.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 518
I am trying to get a big bobcat on my farm in ny. My neighbor caught it on camera (attached). I know, it looks like a mountain lion--but we don't have any of those where I am and our DEC has looked at the pic. It is probably a 40+ pound bobcat--eating our deer.
I have a really good custom long range gun with a NF scope and a PVS-27, so I can reach out during the night to 500 yards-- but my problem is figuring out the critters range beyond 200 yds. I'm shooting into a 55 acre field with shots maybe to 350 yards possible for a big bobcat-type critter, but ballistics show the drop is a lot after about 200 yards. I have a Leica 1600 for daytime ranging and I love it.
Bob
Bob,

"If" legal in your state, set up bait at a known distance for a more controlled target environment - single point vs. multiple. Good luck!

Ed

This works for me, a little clunky, but gives the answer you seek.
I inserted a link, but it's not showing up. Look at Amazon for this:

LaserWorks LE-032 Riflescope Mate rangefinder 700M Mini Tactical Outdoor Hunting Shooting Rangefinder Archery Crossbow Sight Target Scope

Mount on your system, look through your PVS and light your target with laser emitted from range finder, glance at reading - know range.

Butter Bean nailed it if you don't have existing land marks put your own out . No that doesn't look like a lion to me it looks like a good sized bob cat . I can see some of the markings on it's sides and the ears are bob cat ears .

Bob
"...really good custom long range gun..." and "....lot of drop after about 200 yards..." don't fit well together. Which is it??

Several ranging options. I have a rangefinder (**** old age. Can't recall the brand. Purchased several as they were discontinued.) mounted to a Barrett MRAD which is co-aligned with reticle at selected yardage....100, 200, etc., with a pressure pad for ranging. Sight with scope at selected co-align yardage, range with RF, spin/hold for actual shot range. Would work at night. Rig your RF mount to work the same.

Can you not range through your NV with your rangefinder? Never tried myself. Maybe a tilt-off mount for your PVS to facilitate ranging. Is the field featureless, flat open only? Or are there features that can be ranged in the daytime for reference at night? If you are shooting over the same field all the time, maybe put out an array of yardage stakes with Night Eyes reflective nails or tape.

Actually pulled rangefinders out of safe when I got home. They are Silencerco SWR Radius rangefinders. Actually paid $249.99 each from Brownells as close outs. Aim at target, press switch pad, read range, dial....No need to repeat except for more targets. Work "Tony The Tiger".....GREAT!!!!

Last edited:
I have a really good custom long range gun with a NF scope and a PVS-27, so I can reach out during the night to 500 yards-- but my problem is figuring out the critters range beyond 200 yds. I'm shooting into a 55 acre field with shots maybe to 350 yards
Sounds like you have all the bling you need. Just light it up with a spot light or not and shoot it...simple. My current coyote gun Stock Ruger Predator with a Vortex Crossfire 4-12 in .223 works perfect as long as I can see the body outline. Either with a flashlight, spotlight, or vehicle headlights. Don't hamper yourself....you have more than enough equipment. Confidence and kill it all you need to do.

Bob
What caliber are you shooting

We rent thermal binoculars with a built in rangefinder at. https://www,rentoutdoorgear.com

We also have thermal rifle scopes and lots of other hunting optics and gear.

The Pulsar Accolade 2 LRF XP50 Pro is phenomenal!

Book online and use LRH20 for 20% off rentals this month.