Need a little help from the 7mm fans

W

*WyoWhisper*

I have a good deal on a 7mm STW. It has a 10 twist hart barrel. Anyone know if this will stablize a 162 gr bullet... anyone ever use one of these STW's for any LR work???

My 7mm 1:10 experience tells me that 140 and 150gr are the ones it will like the best. That doesn't mean you can't find a recipe for the 160gr though. Sorry if that was no help.

My 280ackley 1:10 likes 140gr
My 7mm mag 1:9.5 likes 150gr

Ric

I killed a rock at a little over 900 yards with 2 shots from a 7mm STW as a demonstration while hunting caribou. (The rock was about the size of a small house but the facet I was shooting was about the size of a 4 pane window.)

I'd guess that the rifle you're discussing was setup for the 140 class bullets, but that's just a guess.

Good Luck with the hunting.

It was a factory Rem 700 in 7mm STW with a Leupold Vari-X III in 4.5 x 14 I believe. I was shooting 140 Nosler Balistic Tips that were placed on a factory case and powder after the factory 140 CoreLok was removed (case resized of course). I wanted to try the STW and thought a Caribou hunt would be a good place (caribou aren't very tough, they can be killed with a stale donut).

You might want to try a Cauterucio 156 VLD. They do very well in my 7mmRUM with a 30" 1:9" twist. I've settled on Cuat. 176s, but the 156s grouped as tightly (@ 3.25" at 500 yards). Both have extremely high BCs.

I agree with Dave, the 140 class would be the likely mid-range, but at the slightly lower velocitites in an STW compared to a RUM, that 156 just might be the ticket for you....
wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.