need a little help deciding between night force shv and swarovski z5

Elkwonder

Ok I have read all the reviews on the Nightforce shv as well as the Swarovski z5 and for the life of me I cannot decide to go with the SHV 4-14x50 F1 or with the Swarovski z5
3-18x44 with ballistic turret. I really like somethings about both scopes. I like the reticle being illuminated on the Nightforce, as well as the dependable trackability. I also like the 30mm and the elevation range.
As for the Swarovski, I like that it weighs less, I also like the 44 objective for cheek weld. Its also a plus having 18 power instead of only 14 and I think the glass may be a touch better from what Im told on the swaro as well. However, I don't like the one inch tube because of less elevation. I also don't like the ballistic turret only having four settings on it.
Have any of you guys had experience with BOTH of these scopes? Is there anything Im over looking here?

Also, these scopes would be going on Tikka t3x hunting rifles. Mainly a 6.5x55 as well as a 300 wsm. I like to dial my scopes and often play around out to five or maybe six hundred, but thats about my max.

Thanks for any information that might help me make a decision here.....lol

The Z5 is a sweet little scope with great glass and a great power range.
You can get an MOA or BDC turret made for the Z5 that replaces 3 of the 4 rings. Only down side is you only get one turn of the turret. With those two choices and if you are keeping shots under about 600 yards I would opt for the Z5 with the wind plex reticle.

3 oz heavier and a little less money than the Z5 is the VX6 3-18x44 with wind hold fire dot reticle. This scope gives you more elevation, a 30mm tube, lighted aiming point and a reliable turret. It comes with an MOA turret and a coupon for a free turret.
In my opinion the best hunting scope I have found to date.
Only downside is the mounting length, you may need a rail for a long action.

All good choices just need to pick the scope that covers most of your needs.

The Z5 is a sweet little scope with great glass and a great power range.
You can get an MOA or BDC turret made for the Z5 that replaces 3 of the 4 rings. Only down side is you only get one turn of the turret. With those two choices and if you are keeping shots under about 600 yards I would opt for the Z5 with the wind plex reticle.

3 oz heavier and a little less money than the Z5 is the VX6 3-18x44 with wind hold fire dot reticle. This scope gives you more elevation, a 30mm tube, lighted aiming point and a reliable turret. It comes with an MOA turret and a coupon for a free turret.
In my opinion the best hunting scope I have found to date.
Only downside is the mounting length, you may need a rail for a long action.

All good choices just need to pick the scope that covers most of your needs.

Do you think the VX6 has as good of glass as the z5?

Ok I have read all the reviews on the Nightforce shv as well as the Swarovski z5 and for the life of me I cannot decide to go with the SHV 4-14x50 F1 or with the Swarovski z5
3-18x44 with ballistic turret. I really like somethings about both scopes. I like the reticle being illuminated on the Nightforce, as well as the dependable trackability. I also like the 30mm and the elevation range.
As for the Swarovski, I like that it weighs less, I also like the 44 objective for cheek weld. Its also a plus having 18 power instead of only 14 and I think the glass may be a touch better from what Im told on the swaro as well. However, I don't like the one inch tube because of less elevation. I also don't like the ballistic turret only having four settings on it.
Have any of you guys had experience with BOTH of these scopes? Is there anything Im over looking here?

Also, these scopes would be going on Tikka t3x hunting rifles. Mainly a 6.5x55 as well as a 300 wsm. I like to dial my scopes and often play around out to five or maybe six hundred, but thats about my max.

Thanks for any information that might help me make a decision here.....lol

This is the exact position I am in, except I want to push out to 800-1000 on paper but would be my primary hunting rifle. What did you end up doing and are you happy with your decision.

If you want to shoot 800 - 1000 yrds, the Z5 is not the right scope given the turret revolution limitation. That scope is really designed for hunting within 600 yards or so. Essentially what you are paying for in a Swaro is the clarity of glass in low light conditions, which is the first 30 mins in the morning and the last 30 minutes in the evening (time when hunters have the best chance of encountering the most mature animals).......there are no scopes better for this purpose than a Swaro! If you want increased functionality, but slightly inferior glass, I would check out the Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18x44, new Athlon Ares line, or Nightforce SHV.

To provide some context - I just sold my Swaro Z6 2.5-18x44 (30mm tube) last week because I wasn't happy with the limitations of the Ballistic Turret.......best glass I have ever owned though. Going to replace it with another Bushnell LRHS (have one already and really like it) or the new Athlon Ares HD scopes when they come out next month.

Do you think the VX6 has as good of glass as the z5?

In side by side comparison on an optics chart the VX-6 4-24X52 beat the z5 5-25X52 by about 1X. That means Whatever I could see in the VX-6 on 10X the z5 needed 11X. That held true clear to their top magnification settings. Neither was better than the other on antlers in the low light comparison.

The VX-6 seemed to give better colors than the z5. I never noticed the z5 not be great until I got the VX-6. The weight was 23 oz against 18 oz, though. The reticle in the z5 was better for precision work while the VX-6 was more visible in low light.

The eye relief on the SHV ends up being a deal breaker for me since it's going on a .300 win mag. The z5 just doesn't have the mechanics I need for longer distances. The x 5 solves all my problems, except for high price tag. It looks like I am going to end up with Leupold.

Something that you have all been over looking is swarovski will put a BRH reticle in the Z5 3.5x18x44 so with the 13 moa turret and the BRH reticle you now have 29 moa plenty to get you well over 1000 yards. I now have this set up on a light weight rifle and its the lightest most versatile scope hands down with great glass.

Something that you have all been over looking is swarovski will put a BRH reticle in the Z5 3.5x18x44 so with the 13 moa turret and the BRH reticle you now have 29 moa plenty to get you well over 1000 yards. I now have this set up on a light weight rifle and its the lightest most versatile scope hands down with great glass.

This is what I was contemplating myself I bought the bushnell 6500 and he z5 brh. I'm thinking of turrets for the z5 so I can dial out a ways then use the rectical after that. Still not sure though.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.