Need a little advice

Never said I was a 7mm guy. Don't know where you got that. Said my daughters shoot 7mm (7SAUM vs their old 260). I'm a .300/.338 fan for elk. I've killed them with .264 and .260. You're the one that said: "Most people who grow up in elk country shoot a humble 243, 270 win...". Just following your logic with the .243 in that list.

I agree, not a ton of difference between 6.5 and 7mm, accuracy and bullet construction much more importance then. They will all kill elk. I just took exception to the comment that someone suggesting a .338 must be on out-of-stater or not hunt elk much. You shoot your 6.5, and I'll shoot my 300 or 338 and we'll both kill lots of elk. I shoot 300 and .338 more for the reasons nmbarta mentions - higher bc projectiles in general and more energy on target (for a big animal like elk). I don't use it because I just have to aim at hair now, since it's so big - that's dumb.

Last thing I shot with my daughter's 260 with was a bull in the timber at 30 yards. It died. He wasn't in the mood to change poses for me and offer me a broadside shot, so I took what he offered. It worked. Do I plan to use the 260 for my "timber/close-range gun"? No. Could I? Yes. I'm now building a .338 for my "elk timber gun", just because (well, one I don't have one, and it sounds like a good excuse :) ) and I'd rather slap him in the shoulder with a 225/250 grain bullet than a 140 (just like I'd rather zing a home intruder with something from a .45 vs. a 380). accuracy and bullet construction are king at that point (with the bull at 30 yards), but given I shoot both just as well, and with the same bullet type, I like that larger hunk of lead, but wouldn't mind your or anyone else preferring a 6.5 for the job. Good for you, just don't bash me for using a 338 and cubbyhole me as an oaf that just aims at hair since I carry a "cannon". We both shoot accurately, I just like a little more insurance than you do, which is a personal preference thing.

There is a difference between showing up for an elk hunt with what you need vs what you want. I hunted elk for years with a 300 rum and 300 wby - but I knew full well that my 25-06 or 270 would have been just as effective. I just wanted to. If you can shoot the big 300 and 338 magnums as well as the 6.5's and 270s, then by all means, bring the biggest gun you can shoot well.

People use this and other websites as a source of information when they are doing their research to come out west for their first elk hunt. So they read that in order to kill an elk they need a 300 or 338 mag. My point is those aren't the wrong answer, they just aren't the only answer. My opinion is, they would be much better off bringing their whitetail gun that they are comfortable shooting than some 338 rum that they bought just for the trip.

There are a lot of locals who shoot 300 mags that probably shouldnt be either. You and I both know local guys that shoot their rifle 1x a year before hunting season to make sure it is sighted in - if it hit paper at 100 yards they are good to go. Its a joke.

I'm in the same boat looking at different calibers for Western Mulie and Elk hunting. I'm going with the 280 AI but the caliber decision caused me way more anxiety and stress than it should have ... too many great cartridges out there.

Since Elk was in my equation I preferred to stay with 7mm and up. That's not to say 6.5 isn't an adequate Elk caliber because all the reading I've done clearly demonstrates that 6.5 has become a go to round for many, many Elk hunters and is plenty effective. My decision to to with the 280 AI had a lot to do with the fact that I already have a Rem 700 LA sitting on my bench and I wanted to use it rather than dump $800+ into a custom action. If my action had been a shorty it would have been an impossible decision between a 6.5 PRC vs 7Saum.

Predatorslayer - good post. Yes I agree and you make good, reasoned points in the latest post. I just wish you'd said it that way in post 17 is all. You said
My point is those aren't the wrong answer, they just aren't the only answer.

Post 17 sure didn't sound like that. That read like a 338 IS the wrong answer, and only a person that doesn't elk hunt much or know much about it would chose a .338. As you clarified, and many others often say in other threads when giving advice on the topic, bigger is never bad if you can practice and shoot it well. However, you can certainly kill elk with lesser calibers and using something you are comfortable with and can shoot well is more important than choosing the biggest caliber. That is good advice, and many people can't shoot the larger magnums well, especially in light weight rifles. Speaking of which, that is also an often overlooked factor - weight, vs. just caliber choice. You don't want to carry too much, but I can shoot my 12# 300 Mag better than I can shoot my daughter's lightweight 6.5, at least at distance, and the kick almost seems worse on the lightweight 6.5. So if a person's 8# 300 Mag is "too much gun" for them to shoot well, they can step down to a smaller caliber, OR they can simply carry a heavier 300, if it fits their style of hunting (just basic physics). For LRH, I like the ballistic benefits of the larger rounds, in a heavier rifle, but that's personal preference and another data point for a newbie to consider.

You last point is also good. Yes, I know many locals who only shoot a few rounds, once a year, just to check zero and head into the woods. They have no clue where or how their rifle will shoot past 300 yards, but when elk show up at 600 yards they don't hesitate to start lobbing prayers. However, you mention they probably shouldn't be carrying their 300 Mag - I'd say it doesn't matter what caliber. It's not like them shooting a .270 in those circumstances makes them, or the elk any better off. It's a bad situation no matter what they're shooting. :)

I am fairly new to long range hunting. I started out shooting a Remington 700 7mm Rem Mag at range, and recently graduated to a Browning Xbolt 26 Nosler, which I love and am efficient with past 1000. However, I recently got the urge to build a custom rifle and am struggling on choosing a caliber. I love the 26 nosler, but I havent been able to start reloading, so finding and buying the ammo is killing me. 6.5 CM is also in the picture because of ammo availability and obviously ballistics are great.. but I spend a lot of time open plain big game hunting so for that factor I was thinking 30 caliber would be nice as well. Maybe 300 WM? What is everyone out there shooting? Recommendations for long range muley and elk calibers are much appreciated!

You already have a 7mm Rem Mag which is what I have and love, Im a 7mm guy, but if you want a little more power go with the 300 Win Mag. Yes the 6.5's will do but the 300 Win Mag will reach further with more punch. It can shoot heavier bullets that will penetrate more if needed. At the end of the day its all about bullet selection and shot placement, but if that animal moves a few inches or the wind gust suddenly hits and the shot is a little off the heavier bullet will go through more bone if needed, you can me more confident about your shots.

Hope this helps.

Oh this again. We got two kinds of members around here. 1. The kind that make 100% perfect cold bore "archery" shot placement at broadside elk, regardless of range, wind, cartridge, using target bullets. 2. Those who allow that things can go wrong no matter how much you commit to this and a bigger hole provides greater margin of error.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.