Need a lightweight and tough sleeping bag and one man tent recommendation

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
PNWGator has it right. I just bought a down quilt from Enlightened Equipment, and it is great. Rated for 10 degrees and weighs 27 oz, and rolls up tight. I'm old, so I use a NeoAir mattress (1 lb), and the straps on the quilt go under it. If you're willing to rough it more, and you camp on top of pine duff, a 3/4 length 3/8" blue pad (5 oz) is enough. I have an 8 oz bivy bag, so I don't use a ground cloth. The bivy bag keeps everything together and adds warmth. I have a 13 oz. GoLite Lair (no longer made) that is a three sided silicone nylon tarp. I tie it to a tree, so rain and snow don't blow in the open end. The way to keep condensation down is to keep the sides lifted off the ground. I don't like that because it makes it colder, and lets snow and rain blow in. I don't worry about the condensation. If your tent is pitched right, it will be steep enough to let the condensation roll down without dripping. If not, the bivy bag keeps most of it off your sleeping bag. I use a Aquamira Water Basics filter system (10 oz) or a Sawyer filter. Gravity only, no pump. I can do an overnight bivy for less than 8 lbs. added to my pack, and be comfortable. If you want a really light stove, look at alcohol stoves. They take longer to heat water, but they work fine. My cook kit weighs less than 6 oz. When it is cold, I like my Pocket Rocket. Fast and convenient, and only a few ounces more. I do have a tipi tent with wood stove from Kifariu (not cheap), but it is heavy (11 lbs) but worth it for two guys in really cold weather.

How do you all deal with the condensation in tents at night? When it is 20 degrees outside when I wake up my tent is soaking wet inside. I'll be honest and say I do t stake down the vestibule correctly so it drapes over the mesh opening but everything is wet when I wake up in the morning at O' dark thirty on the mountain
Great question. I was in a two man tent with a buddy and we woke up it felt like it was raining on us. It was 30 degrees out. I would like to know as well.
Ventilate, ventilate, ventilate ...

Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 UL at <2#. Some of the tarps look pretty good but when a ground cloth or a bivy bag is added, they end up as heavy as the FC UL and still aren't double-wall. (Condensation.) It's more backpacker than tacticool but it is light and really functional. Good really light bags aren't cheap but if you can suck up an extra pound of bag weight it opens up a lot of less expensive options--wider, longer, warmer.

Well Stone Glacier is the best bag I've found. I've spent a small fortune trying every bag I could to find the one bag. Stone Glacier is the one!!!
Your budget is going to be your limited factor in your search
I read a review on rokslide about the chillkoot stone glacier after seeing your post. Seems like an impressive bag! Spendy but I'm sure it would prevent a guy from going home to get hot coco

I read a review on rokslide about the chillkoot stone glacier after seeing your post. Seems like an impressive bag! Spendy but I'm sure it would prevent a guy from going home to get hot coco
Coco is always nice!
I use my bag quite extensively. 90-120 days a year. I guide in very remote areas of Alaska and that sleeping bag is my best and last way to get and stay warm.

My latest upgrade to my packing gear is an enlightened quilt, a good r factor sleeping mat, went with big agnes, Dan Durston 2 person tent. Been satisfied with this setup. Haven't used it in temps below the mid 20s. Mostly use for 2-4 day trips. If I was going for an extended trip or if I thought there was going to be some bad weather I would take a tigoat 4 person tipi and titanium wood stove. Don't forget items to eat with, some kind of a way to cook. Good luck and have fun gathering all this neat expensive gear.

I just recently bought a bog pod and it turns out the carbon fiber models are 6lbs….

So hence the reason for my post. The army poncho and sleeping system is super heavy and I need to make up weight and space with the tent and sleeping bag.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Very helpful.

I second Enlightened Equipment. I have one of their 30° bags, weighs 19 ounces and packs down to about the size of a football. Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering are also high quality. But I gather the OP is a veteran, so my top recommendation is the Stone Glacier Chilkoot because it's supposed to be amazing and they do a veteran discount.

Klymit KSB 20 is about the best bang for your buck I've found. Great bag, its a mummy but has elastic separating the baffles. Stretches and moves with you so dont get that mummy bag feel. Pretty affordable and lightweight. Also, the big agnes q-core is a good bet for a pad. Pretty light weight and has a small insulation valve. I use the wide version and the pad is about 4" thick. Helps the shoulders if your a side sleeper.
As far are the shelter, I'd reccomend a 2p shelter if it's a backpacking tent. The 1p's are basically the size of a bivy so you may as well just get a bivy. But i think the big agnes fly creek UL2 is one of the lightest at like 1 pound 11 oz trail weight. Keep in mind the lighter you go you sacrifice durability. These ultralight shelters are generally expensive and not as durable. I like floorless tipis personally. Pretty light and some can be bought for fairly cheap. Look at Luxe hiking gear.