Need a Hand! Rem 721 extractor problem

royinidaho

I need to replace a broken Rem 721 '06 size extractor. The springie thing that extracts the cartridge.

They are like finding hen's teeth.

What is the most straight forward fix without going to M-16/Sako extractor.

I'm looking for a DIY solution.

Any assistance will be definitely appreciated.

Roy

I don't know if anybody will have one without having to get it directly from Remington.

I havnt played with a 721 extractor, but you stand a chance of using a 700 extractor.

If I dig one up, I will PM.

I don't think you will get one of these, as my "go to" supplier for old parts said she hasn't seen one for 20 years. But you can do some measuring and retrofit a 700 extractor and then see if it works.

I don't like doing that myself, but it might be the only option without going to Sako/ m16 style.

rem 700 will not work. only solution is HUNT one down at gun shows/estate sales/flea bay/OLD gunshops,etc. it took me 3 months to find last one. If your going to continue to use rifle, replace with Sako or M16 type

I would really like to see if you can use a 700 extractor and make it work by modifying the extractor or the bolt face.

I wish I had a 721 to play with.

I would really like to see if you can use a 700 extractor and make it work by modifying the extractor or the bolt face.

Been there, done that,,,,, wouldn't waste my time, again...... For as long as it's been that extractors for 721s have been unavailable, if an extractor for a 700 could be altered to work or simple alterations could be made to the bolt nose of the 721 bolt,so that it would accommodate an extractor made for a 700, someone would be very busy making those alterations ...... If time and tooling are no problem, and you have plenty of both to spare, have at it! Roy has come to the most logical, cost effective solution,,,,, have a M16 style extractor installed.

Two of us got together to pool our talents but had second thoughts when we both went for the Dremel at the same time.:)

Old thread, I know...

Also, if your bolt won't quite close, or sometimes does, and sometimes doesn't, like my 721 , 270 bolt face, try looking at the head of the brass and see if it is getting torn up trying to push past the "tooth" of the extractor.
If so, trying polishing the crap out of the brass head, so that, on insertion of the cartridge into battery, that extractor tooth, will slide over the brass and still grab the brass by the rim for extraction.
If you can't easily modify the extractor, maybe you can create a slight chamfer on the brass head to get past that nasty little extractor. The extractor doesn't look like much, but that little bastard will extract pretty well as long as you don't take too much off the brass head rim. Just polish it good with 0000 steel wool. Do 20 rounds, see how it goes.

Here is a 721, 270 win, bolt face. See how when the extractor gets pushed in, the springs ends ( of extractor ) move inward...if they move inward too far the case head snags on it, and, stops the cartridge just short of going into battery.

Attachments

• IMG_20200228_111605.jpg
    IMG_20200228_111605.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 151
My temporary fix of the extractor spring getting in the way, is to, taper the case head , so that, the head does not hit the spring so "head on" and the taper pushes the spring back into the recess, and, the cartridge then goes into battery. My extractor still grabs and extracts. My plan is to use this brass in the 721, loaded mild, as long as the extractor holds up.

Attachments

• IMG_20200228_111402.jpg
    IMG_20200228_111402.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 133
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.