Need A Gift For A Reloader

rosborohunter

Good evening and Merry Christmas,
My Father In Law is having a birthday next week. I would like to get him something that is a neat little tool or knick Knack that any reloader would love. Of course this is two fold because I reload with him. We buy and share equipment together. We have all the basics plus the latest addition of a digital powder trickler and scale and a case prep center. All ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Bang for the buck wise, the item I feel I appreciate the most for the amount spent is the K&M Hand priming tool with indicator.

What price range are you thinking??

Kinda depends on what type of cartridges you load. Rifle, pistol, high volume, very precise bench rest type loads etc. etc.

1) If he is Computer literate, the Quickload program is awesome for checking out different powder, bullet combinations.

2) How do you prime your cases? Use a progressive? Single Stage? Do you have a hand primer (the Lee hand prime and the holder set is awesome if you're just using a single stage to prime and are trying to do a bunch of reloads).

3) Sinclair and Midway both sell nice reloading log books, only $5 or so each and quite handy.

Hope this helps,

AJ

Kinda depends on what type of cartridges you load. Rifle, pistol, high volume, very precise bench rest type loads etc. etc.

1) If he is Computer literate, the Quickload program is awesome for checking out different powder, bullet combinations.

2) How do you prime your cases? Use a progressive? Single Stage? Do you have a hand primer (the Lee hand prime and the holder set is awesome if you're just using a single stage to prime and are trying to do a bunch of reloads).

3) Sinclair and Midway both sell nice reloading log books, only $5 or so each and quite handy.

Hope this helps,

AJ
We use an old single stage press to load 357, 44 mag, and everything between 22 hornet and 30-06. We still use the press to prime the cases. I think that hand primer may be my best bet. Do you have any recommendation on brand? We are not picky as to brand in that we don't have to have the same brand of everything. We just want quality. He also casts his own bullets for the 357, 44, and 30-30. I have not jumped into that yet.
All of his handgun loads are charged with a powder thrower. We charge our rifle cartridges individually.
Not too computer literate.
You have been a big help already!

Bang for the buck wise, the item I feel I appreciate the most for the amount spent is the K&M Hand priming tool with indicator.

What price range are you thinking??
I would really like to come out of this without spending more than 30 bucks. Where would you buy the K&M? We are frequent customers of Midway.

I would really like to come out of this without spending more than 30 bucks. Where would you buy the K&M? We are frequent customers of Midway.
Guess I look like a cheap Son In Law. 112 bucks for that primer tool. I checked it out and it looks like the cat's meow. My wife is currently frowning at me for the suggestion. It will probably be in our future however.

The K&M is around 100 ish...

I bought mine direct but I think Graf & Sons also carry some K&M stuff.

The Lee Priming system is pretty good as well and is more in line with your budget. No dial indicator but read the reviews on Midway. Plenty of believers.

How about the caliber specific powder funnels from Satern. I use them & really like them.
(Products)
Did not know they made such! He normally uses a handgun for everything and therefore reloads for a 44 the majority of the time. He uses a powder thrower to charge his cases. However, I reload for my rifles and those funnels are very attractive to me:D I will definitely invest in a couple. Thanks for that idea.

We use an old single stage press to load 357, 44 mag, and everything between 22 hornet and 30-06. We still use the press to prime the cases. I think that hand primer may be my best bet. Do you have any recommendation on brand? We are not picky as to brand in that we don't have to have the same brand of everything. We just want quality. He also casts his own bullets for the 357, 44, and 30-30. I have not jumped into that yet.
All of his handgun loads are charged with a powder thrower. We charge our rifle cartridges individually.
Not too computer literate.
You have been a big help already!

For high volume pistol priming, I'd get the LEE hand prime and the kit with all the shell holders (they are different than used in a press). I've used a number of different hand primers, and for the $30-$40 you'll spend for the primer and holders, it is a steal and he will greatly appreciate it if he is still priming with the press. I guarantee it!. I used one for several years, loading 25k-40k rounds / year. I actually wore one completely out! I use a Dillon 650xl now, but still use the hand prime for my rifle cartridges that I load with my single stage press.

Merry Christmas,
AJ

The funnel kit from Frankfort arsenal (available at Midway) is really good and will fit all the cartridges. The hand primer is definitely an awesome gift though.

AJ

The funnel kit from Frankfort arsenal (available at Midway) is really good and will fit all the cartridges. The hand primer is definitely an awesome gift though.

AJ
Gentlemen,
You have been a big help! I just ordered the Lee xr hand priming tool with the shell holder kit. Once again, thanks for the help and have a merry Christmas!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.