Need a better bullet for my 338 win mag Currently shooting Barnes 225 grain triple shock TTSX

Id also suggest an accubond. I dislike the all copper bullets to me it seems they have a narrow window where they behave properly.
Yeah, I had the same problem with Barnes in 375HH. 338WM.300WM, I couldn't get tight groups. I know guys that do and like them. For some reason they just don't like my guns. I have worked up range loads w/ different powders, primers etc.. but no luck.

I think the ELD-X's are a great compromise as far as great BC / accuracy and killing power. I shoot the 270's at 2950 out of a 338 LAI. This elk was hot with a 270 ELD-X at 315 yards. 3 inch entrance hole and 3 feet of penetration- awesome performance.

Attachments

• elk2020mehorns.jpg
    elk2020mehorns.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 54
Interesting.

I load the 225 TTSX in my friend's 338 WM, and it was deadly. No problems with penciling at all.
As asked earlier what was the distance?

I think the ELD-X's are a great compromise as far as great BC / accuracy and killing power. I shoot the 270's at 2950 out of a 338 LAI. This elk was hot with a 270 ELD-X at 315 yards. 3 inch entrance hole and 3 feet of penetration- awesome performance.
3 inch entrance? That seems like a bomb that is blowing at impact.

The distance of the three that would not expand was 654 yards approx. The kill shot was approx 359 yards. 225 grn ttsx shooting IMR 4350 at 2800 fps
I am having a hard time finding bullets. I had some ELDX 230 grains that I could not get them to group before. Changed to H-4350 move it to 55 thousandths off the lans and the groups tightened up. Will settle with the ELDx's until I can get some Nosler Accubonds to try.
Any thoughts on moving up to a 265 grain bullet (Nosler LRX) bc's are better but much slower out of the muzzle.

The distance of the three that would not expand was 654 yards approx. The kill shot was approx 359 yards. 225 grn ttsx shooting IMR 4350 at 2800 fps
I am having a hard time finding bullets. I had some ELDX 230 grains that I could not get them to group before. Changed to H-4350 move it to 55 thousandths off the lans and the groups tightened up. Will settle with the ELDx's until I can get some Nosler Accubonds to try.
Any thoughts on moving up to a 265 grain bullet (Nosler LRX) bc's are better but much slower out of the muzzle.
Skip the big LRX in the Win Mag case, those buggers will eat up tons of case capacity. Another one to try that has worked for decades in this cartridge is the 250 Sierra Gameking. Accurate, high enough BC for longer range work, and excellent terminal performance from what I've seen in my .338. Killed Bulls from 50 yards out to 550.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.