Need a better bullet for my 338 win mag Currently shooting Barnes 225 grain triple shock TTSX

Dan swainston

Just killed a nice 340" Bull in Idaho but I had a couple of bullets that pencil holed my Bull. I had to take a shoulder shot to take him down. The Barnes had performed good last year on my moose went through both shoulders and spined him.
What is the recommended bullet that has a high bc for longer ranges and expands. But doesn't blow up on impact.

I prefer the bonded core bullets for controlled expansion. For the 338 WM I would also recommend a 225 Class of bullets for the velocity, trajectory and energy. I would avoid any shoulder hits and go with the crease (Behind the shoulder) or the base of the neck shots if instant kills are needed.

Just My preference

J E CUSTOM

Is there a brand you recommend
Also I had one pencil through the neck and one through the lung. The kill shot was behind one shoulder and then anchored in the shoulder on the far side. Free hand while he was running at 325 yards. These are the two that were recovered the other two passed right through. What is your preference for best performance and high bc's

Attachments

• CB3F207C-1EDC-4ADC-B043-89C7CAD633EA.jpeg
    CB3F207C-1EDC-4ADC-B043-89C7CAD633EA.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 117
Barnes LRX are reliable down to 1600 fps. If you're shooting farther (and not under 200) I'd go with Berger.

At 338 Win speeds the 250 Berger is my favorite, even at RUM speeds it's probably my favorite bullet for just straight up dumping elk. Accubonds have left a LOT to be desired as well as the TTSX.
I haven't used the Hammers in a 338 but that would be my first bullet in a mono to try.

Have a while? lol There are many good bullets in the 338. Nosler partitions, woodleighs, Hornady interbond. I have not shot the accubonds in a 338. From using them in the smaller guns I would be leary of a closer in shot. I also have not shot the hammers but they sure look good. Badlands sledgehammers also look good.

I know this thread is getting a little old now but I'll throw my two cents in anyways for anyone else who stumbled upon it. The eldx 230 grain is a heck of a bullet. And the 270 grain eldx in a 338 rum I would imagine would be excellent as well. Reliable even at low velocity

I have had great luck with Trophy Bonded Bear Claws and Swift A Frames on Caribou Bulls and Big Bull Elk out of my 338, Performed well at ranges from 30 yds to 400 yds. However they would not be considered a high BC bullet. I would lean towards the EldX. Some say the ELDM performs better at distance but I don't have any experience to base that on. I have seen great performance with Accubond in 30 cal, but again no experience with it in 338.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.