Need a barrel for my Savage.

JOHNNIE WALKER

Well, my model 10 Savage needs some help. It's time for a re-barrel. I'm looking for a good smith to help me out. Does anybody have a gunsmith they want to recommend???? If so, would you please include why you are recommending them. I'm not looking for somebody that thinks they are Gods gift to the world, and feels that they should be paid accordingly. But I do want a nice job done, without any hassles. Thanks in advance.

Why not get Johnnie Walker to do it?

There are lots of places that make good Savage prefit barrels. You can go for low cost with a new Savage take off or an ER Shaw, you can go for high end with a PVA made with a Rock Creek blank or you can go exotic with a carbon fiber wrapped Proof Research.

You just need a headspace gauge, a barrel nut wrench and a way to hold the action.

I've done three, one on a Savage and two on American Rifle Company actions that can take a Savage prefit barrel.

A reason why you might not want to do it is if you want to get your action trued while it is apart.

I would at minimum upgrade to a flat ground recoil lug while the barrel is off unless you are going ultra low budget with a Savage takeoff barrel. After that, truing the action is a question of what your goals are. If sub MOA is ok, you probably don't need action truing unless you think it was an issue. If you want ultimate accuracy, that is a step toward that goal.

I'm a big DIY guy. I've done a lot of stuff on my own, and made fun of people for taking the easy way out. I've spent long periods of time in wilderness areas alone, and prefer that to dealing with people. But I want this rifle to shoot really well, and I don't want to have to wonder if I did something wrong. I thought about doing it myself, but I'm going out on a limb this time.

I guess you should send it to Sharp Shooter Supply and pay $225 for a time and true job with barrel install/headspacing.

You might as well go for a $500+ barrel since you don't want to worry about a barrel and upgrade the trigger so that factor is out of the question. Then add professionally done bedding. You reload, right? Maybe you need an autotrickler to make sure your powder charges aren't limiting your accuracy.

Or you could not do any of that.

For me a Savage is a budget rifle and before I go too far I ask myself *** am I doing?

I do have expensive rifles that I try to build without compromise. I've gone with ARC actions because their combination of features and quality is top notch while their prices are pretty competitive and they are Remington 700 footprint so you get a much wider variety of good triggers to choose from and many choices of stock or chassis to install it in. That turns out really nice and with a prefit barrel, I DIY them too.

The downside of expensive guns is that I have spent more on an action than a complete Savage build with an X-Caliber barrel, MDT chassis, folding stock, fluted bolt sleeve, extended bolt handle and a shimmed and spring swapped Accutrigger.

Well, my model 10 Savage needs some help. It's time for a re-barrel. I'm looking for a good smith to help me out. Does anybody have a gunsmith they want to recommend???? If so, would you please include why you are recommending them. I'm not looking for somebody that thinks they are Gods gift to the world, and feels that they should be paid accordingly. But I do want a nice job done, without any hassles. Thanks in advance.
IF you'd like to have the ability to run custom prefit barrels on your Savage Model 10, we (Straight Jacket Armory) could do the work necessary to allow the action to accept shouldered barrels versus using the traditional barrel nut. Our custom prefit barrels shoot 1/2 MOA or better.

Shoot Straight!

StraightShooter77
www.straightjacketarmory.com
307 707-3181 Ext 1

IMO,It's a complete waste of time and money to "True" a Savage action. Out of the 8 Savage actions I have,I had one trued. It doesn't do anything better than any of my other stock out of the box actions do. I've also got a Shilen DGR and ARC Nucleus action's with Savage Pre-fit barrels on them. They are much better feeling action's than the factory Savage,but they are not any more accurate than a Savage action with a custom barrel.

I've got E.R.Shaw,Shilen,X-Caliber,Bartlein,and Kreiger barrels on my actions,and they all shoot good. Handloads easily shoot sub-moa groups with some shooting incredibly small groups.
You can spend $200 - $350 on a custom Pre-fit Button rifled barrel,or $500 - $700 on a Cut rifled or Carbon Fiber pre-fit barrel.

It takes me just a few minutes to swap a barrel out on these actions. I see no need in paying someone to do it

It's not the action that makes the gun shoot good, its the barrel.

A bad barrel on a great action still produces bad results.

@ Txhillbilly ...your barrels are of very good quality so its not hard to imagine them being sub-moa shooters :)

StraightShooter77

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.