Need a 338 barrel.

rigmaster10

I would like to rebarrel my savage 111 lrh in 338 lapua mag. It currently has the skinny 26" barrel and holds .75 moa out to a grand. But at 2700 fps with 300 gr. Bergers its a bit slow. Im thinking brought 5c maybe. I would like to see near 3000 fps. But i would like it to not be compareable to carrying 300 hp outboard into the woods. What are your thoughts.

why do you need this kind of velocities outta a 338 lapua mag? if you want more velocities then you will need a longer barrel. I have a 5c on my lapua.. 26 inch rock creek..gets 2750 for velocities and has no prob reachin past 2k.. especially when your using a 300 grain pill.. I would think 30-32 inch barrel to acheive this kind of velocity that you seek.. maybe longer I dont know..I wouldnt want to shoot that fast lol.. hope this helps a little.. you will have to get a new stock if you get a 5c barrel that alot bigger contour then you stock savage..and it will be heavier.. quite a bit.

kasey

I hear you. All these things are coming into play. I'm thinking 28" and better chambering should help.That savage it's very sensitive. Tends to stick the bolt

In my experience edges work best as a single shot platform w/a col of around 3.950 with a 28-30 inch tube especially if you wanna reach the velocity limits. Give me a call at Benchmark if you wanna talk about a new tube or need help with your existiing one. We do have a short throated reamer but its mostly for the 250's in a repeater.
Good luck with your rifle,
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

Hi Chris I have one of your barrels on my Cheytac shoots very well. But this rifle is a savage 338 lapua detachable magazine and I would like to keep that. Im thinking of going improved. I will get with you guys on overall length. Do you have any of the 5c type rifling. Can you thread and chamber the barrel for me as well. My gunsmith is out of commision and im still waiting on my lathe.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.