Need a .260

.17- quick way is to buy the lrp. depending on what weight you want. for me heavier is better for what you have stated . if 12 ponds is good 14 is better. if a 26 inch barrel is good 28 is better . ( for me). several have suggested piece meal. buy an action (remington, howa) , a stock and have a barrel installed. this has the advantage of the pay as you go. disadvange it goes over your 800$. i am NOT a savage guy , there may be a way to piece meal a savage to equall or better the LRP. i Know with the price of senderos at 1200 i can shop and put one together cheaper that will out shoot the factory gun. to me - if some say you need to get a creed more 6.5 or 6.5 this or that. the cartridge selection is small potatoes. for me it is the action , BARREL, stock, trigger.

Last edited:
Just find the .308 totally of no interst. Not sure why I am so biased against it. Maybe because there are so many better calibers out there, maybe it is in my mind a deer gun, maybe because of the extra recoil. I reload so ammo availablility is not an issue.

Why do you put the 7mm-08 above the .260? Just a preference thing or ?

Thanks for the input...

"Beware of the man with one gun" . I could EASILY do everything .17 specifies with a remington 700/ krieger barrel .243. 17 already has dies and components for it. if he wants another caliber ok. if he wants one heavy and one lighter for hunting , ok. i see the big choice is not the caliber. . by the time you get a 260 or7 mm anything, ...... it will be more $$$ than one good one.

.17 - having to pay 125-150 to have a barrel installed is not good if you are going to go through them rapidly . i was hoping some of the savage guys would comment. i think liltank shoots savage. you can put barrels on your self and have a few spare in the closet or safe.

Why do you put the 7mm-08 above the .260? Just a preference thing or ?

Thanks for the input...

Only reason I would say the 7mm08 over the .260 is that you can throw a little more lead down range with the 7mm. You said you already have a .243, so why go to another wildcat round based off of the the .308 case just for a little more lead than the .243 can throw? You say that you don't like the .308, but the .243, .260, and 7mm08 were all derived from the .308 case. The .308 is a very capable round with multiple grain bullets to chose from. That's why everyone and their brother has heard of them, or owns one. But back on topic, in my mind the 7mm08 beats out the .260 with what you are wanting to do IMHO.

Price being equal I may pick the .260. If the 7mm o8 I could find the same gun cheaper I'd probably pull the trigger on the purchase.

Any idea how the .260 Rem. Compares to the 6.5 Creedmore? + and -

flat-shooter-savage-arms-model-12-long-range-precision-review

lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts