NEED 280AI LOAD DATA PLEASE!

JDJHNTR

Heres the deal. I just had a 280AI biult on a Rem. 700 action with a S/S #3 Douglas air guaged match barrel cut to 23" set in a Hs precision tan spiderweb stock. I just recieved my dies from Midway last week and have already loaded and fireformed 30 cases. I had intended on shooting the 140grn Nosler B-Tips but somehow found myself with a large quantity (around 600) of the 120's laying around. I have really come to love Varget powder in most of my rifles and readily find load info for most of them, but can not find any info for the 120grn in the 280AI. I know there are probably better powder choices out there for this round but once again I have several pounds of the Varget and would like to use it if possable? I have already shot a couple rounds with the Varget at 52grns but was not getting the velocity I was looking for (around 3300-3400fps). The 52grns only produced around 3100fps. Has anyone out there ever shot the combo described, or know where to get some data? I would really appreciate any and all help or advice!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks to everyone.........Randy (JDJHNTR)

I do not know of any Varget data, but the Nosler Reloading Guide #4 lists a nice complement of 280AI data, including the 120 gr BT. You might try contacting Hogdon or maybe Kenny Jarrett of Jarrett Rifles. I almost got a 280AI when I rebarrelled my Rem 700 LSS with a Shilen Match Grade, but opted for the .30-06AI, figuring it would be better for elk. Of course, I have a .338 Win Mag, so maybe I should have gone for the .280AI. Great cartridge.

Here is my experience with the 280ai, i build mine a year ago and opted for the 140's , I used hornady and remington, I started with H-4831 @ 62.5 grns and went up to 64.5 grns that is where primers started to flatten, the hornady 139 SST were by far faster which i contribute to less bearing surface, at 64.5 grns they passed my cronograph at 3425 and the remingtons 140's were at 3350, prudently i backed them off a grain keeping the hornadys at 3375 and the remington a whisker behind them, as always start low and work your way up, btw.. i have a 721 action , shilen # 5 special match grade SS 25 inches long, maga-na ported. Good luck as this is one of the better cartriges around

Those loads sound REALLY hot for that cartridge. I wonder what the chamber pressures are? There is no such thing as a free lunch. (actually I'm just jealous that you are beating my 7STW with the same bullet!)

Here is my experience with the 280ai, i build mine a year ago and opted for the 140's , I used hornady and remington, I started with H-4831 @ 62.5 grns and went up to 64.5 grns that is where primers started to flatten, the hornady 139 SST were by far faster which i contribute to less bearing surface, at 64.5 grns they passed my cronograph at 3425 and the remingtons 140's were at 3350, prudently i backed them off a grain keeping the hornadys at 3375 and the remington a whisker behind them, as always start low and work your way up, btw.. i have a 721 action , shilen # 5 special match grade SS 25 inches long, maga-na ported. Good luck as this is one of the better cartriges around
I have been shooting the same load in my AI but used the sierra 140 hpbt. Not sure on velocities but this is extremely accurate. Shilen select match 24 inch barrel. This has been my whitetail and hog rifle for some time. Wicke